FactoryTalk VIEW alarm server control/feedback from PLC not connecting

Justwalk123

I am using FactoryTalk VIEW alarm server to set level alarms on tags in the PLC. I am pointing the Enable and Disable bits for the alarms to bits in the PLC so that the PLC can enable and disable the alarm based on conditions, and pointing the Disabled status bit for the alarm to a bit in the PLC for feedback. Sometimes this works. Sometimes not. It seems like the connection between the alarm server and PLC gets broken. I can go into the alarm server, edit a single alarm and reselect a single control bit, save the edit, and it fixes the alarm I just edited plus all the other alarms. It’s like I poke the alarm server in one tiny spot and it resets and fixes the connection. Until some random time when the connection goes south again. Has anybody else seen this, and most importantly, fixed it permanently? I’m using FTV SE 10. Thanks in advance.

I just ran across a post in the rockwellautomation.com knowledge base. I will include the contents below. When I get a chance I may try disabling the FactoryTalk Linx alarming per the article, to see if this helps the communications any...I'm using HMI alarms rather than ALMA/ALMD or tag-based controller alarms.

*************** contents of knowledge base ***************

Summary
FactoryTalk View SE - Cannot Disable or Change Alarm Attributes for FactoryTalk Linx Alarms
Problem
I cannot disable or change attributes on some FactoryTalk Linx Alarms in the FactoryTalk Alarm and Events Status Explorer.
For example, I cannot disable communication fault alarms for specific controller shortcuts coming from FactoryTalk Linx.
Solution
Some alarms that are shown in the status explorer are system alarms and cannot be disabled. For example, when you lose connection to a controller, an alarm is generated in the FactoryTalk Linx server software and not on the controller, so it cannot be disabled.

Also, Alarm and Event support should only be enabled for FactoryTalk Linx if you are using ALMA / ALMD alarm instructions in your controller or Logix Tag-Based Alarms in ControlLogix L8x controllers. If you are not using one of those two alarming options for your controller, you can disable alarm support for the controller shortcut in the FactoryTalk Linx communication setup. You can also disable FactoryTalk Alarm and Event support for the entire FactoryTalk Linx server (if you are not using one of two controller alarm options mentioned above). To do so:
Right click on your FactoryTalk Linx server.
Go to Properties --> Alarms and Events.
Uncheck Enable alarm and event support and then click OK.