Upgrading a Siemens CPU315 to CPU319

I have never installed a brand new CPU before.

But, I need to take an existing project from a CPU315 and put it in a CPU319 because we are running out of memory in the 315.

We have Distributed safety in our projects.

Is there a documented procedure or guideline to putting a program into a new PLC?

Thanks,

Dave

You didn't specifically mention which part numbers you are using; I'm assuming you are using the newer profinet enabled CPU's. You mention distributed safety, so I assume you are using Simatic Manager, and Step 7 v5.5.

The first thing to note is that the 319 is physically wider than the 315, probably about 3x wider. You need to ensure you have space on the rack and in the panel. It still only takes up one "slot" though.

Second, make sure you have backed up any setup data necessary in the 315. This could be done by uploading some of the data blocks, or by writing down the values you'll need. I'm not sure if there's an easy way to take a snapshot of all current values in the PLC, or what data in your program you would actually need to recommission the system.

If you have not upgraded the program yet, you must do this in the hardware config. You should be able to right click on the CPU and replace it. If you upgraded to a 317 you should be able to upgrade the easy way, but I'm not sure if it will let you go all the way up to a 319 via this method (319's usually have 3 interfaces, 315's & 317's only have 2). You might have to create a new PLC, and then copy the IO and program over.

There are also certain blocks that might need to be edited, such as those involving TCP communication. They need to know specifically which port is used for communication, and the interface number changes when you upgrade from a 315 to a 319.

When utilizing the new, upgraded PLC, you will either need a new memory card, or you need to have cleared off the old one already. It is usually a best practice to set the IP address of the new PLC before downloading, but that is not required. If you try to do a HW download, it will allow you to search for the available PLC's to find the right one, and start downloading. It will send the HW config, which will include the correct IP address, but the changed IP address will break your connection. If you try to download, and search for it again, it will finish correctly. From there you can download the code.

Interestingly, if you have the same code and the same HW config, you should end up with the same safety signature. I've seen the signature stay the same in PLC upgrades in the past, but I can't guarantee it would be for you. If the sig doesn't change, that probably greatly simplifies re-certifying the safety systems.

for saving values for datablocks (DB) go online and copy from online to offline, after this you should be able to load same values to new CPU.

On hardware config you can't update directly to 319 cpu because of differences at CPUs.
(from 315 to 317 is easy, you can change cpu simple with dragging and dropping new cpu to above old.)

Only method which I know is to delete old cpu from hardware and after this to select new cpu. Recreate all setting and connections to new cpu. (write down settings before or take print sreens of settings.)
When you delete old CPU, configuration ask if you want delete or maintain old program.
After recreating new cpu, you need still copy all symbols and program blocks from old cpu's program folder to new one.

For new cpu, it is maybe easier have also new memory card, if something goes wrong at changing, it much easier to go back old installation than start loading old program back...
If you use old memory card from old cpu, not sure if you only need to load hardware config to card, because all the other blocks remains same than before?

One other important thing is to make sure you archive the project BEFORE you make any changes to it. This ensures you can always look back to how it used to be.

^yeah, archive or save project/or even copy whole folder from step7 project folder with different name before for backup purposes.

for saving values for datablocks (DB) go online and copy from online to offline, after this you should be able to load same values to new CPU.

Do not do this for the safety DB's as this will change the timestamp and thus make the safety program inconsistant.

I was definitely planning on archiving the existing project first. I was also thinking of copying the online DBs to that offline project before archiving. Any thoughts on that?

if you want, you can make one archive with the offline values, and another archive with the online values. Or, you could make a copy of your PLC in the project, and then upload the online values into that. This way you get all the values in one archive.

Regardless how you do it, having both the offline and the online values is probably an excellent idea.

Do not do this for the safety DB's as this will change the timestamp and thus make the safety program inconsistant.

:unsure:

timestamp should not change, if you copy DB blocks from online to new datablock area to offline project. Then you need some logic code with sfc20 (move) which will copy data from (new DB) to old one. (You code something like recept in logic).

(or use some 3rd party software for data saving and restoring, if there is recipt at scada...)

If you change a CPU to a bigger version but with same no of ports, you can replace it by dragging and dropping the new CPU from the catalog onto the old CPU in the HW Config. In this way, STEP7 retains as much as possible, in both HW Config and PLC code and you dont have to manually copy blocks from the old to the new project.

Not 100% sure but I think that you can do it this way when upgrading from a 315 to a similar 317.

it will not have ip (ip= 0.0.0.0), you need to use mac-address for first time for downloading.

On hardware window, select download and select appreciate mac-address and download hardware configuration.

You need first to select you nic card for communication at set pg/pc interface properties.

Another method is first to flash ip to plc.

You can do this at step7. Select first plc -> then select edit ethernet node, scan for PLC mac-addresses (or write it to selection window directly), select then finded plc (ip 0.0.0.0) and the write and flash new ip for cpu.
After this you should be able to ping cpu with new ip and download all blocks to it.

p.s Jesper have allready maded info for this

http://www.plcs.net/downloads/index... PLC.txt&directory=Siemens&PHPSESSID=jwtihhuy

Last edited: