RsLinx and communication error

02js4130

Hi all,

currently i have created and running a batching system for making muesli, using a micrologix 1500 and Rslinx classic single node.

I am using Microsoft XP professional SP3 and a piece of software called OPC Data logger, to log the necessary information from the PLC. This has been working 100% perfect for a couple of months now, Until last night.

I arrive this morning too find that communications had been lost in the night resulting in the data not being logged.

Previous too this disaster i was using COM1 the serial port on the back of the computer and using a DF1 rs232 driver. To recover the situation i have used a omron USB Converter which is running the same DF1 protocol but a different port COM3, and it works fine.

When i try to reconfigure the COM1 port RSLinx tells me it cannot find the correct parity or baud rate? Any ideas as what might be happening??

Using COM3 it configures instantly, Is this a common fault with RSLinx??

Also i have noticed that in the drop down menu HELP>About RSLinx at the bottom where it says activations the serial number is no longer present, and is displayin ****none*** but if i place the cursor over the tray icon it displays, activations: single node. Could this be an issue?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

I gather that the com port issue was in the past and resolved? Com 1 conflict is "common" because many program uses Com1 by default but if RSLinx already got Com1 then it shouldn't just drop dead all the sudden. In that case, it could be possible that you have a hardware layer issue.

- consider update your RSlinx and also check the driver status by going into Communication>Configure Driver.

As for the activation, my RSLinx shows a "none" too in Help>About. However, the title bar should show your current RSLinx type, single-node, etc..

- You can download one of the many OPC test client out there to see of the OPC server functionality of the RSLinx is working correctly..

Hi harryting,

No the com port issue hasn't been resolved i am finding it hard to get an answer.

RsLinx has been running using the COM1 for months and just dropped out, and now the port cannot be configured at all?

So i have been using a USB converter instead of directly into the port itself.

Any ideas?

Ok, first, your RSLInx activation is fine. Otherwise it wouldn't work at all with any port as the OPC server.

It really sounds like the physical port is toast for what ever reason. If it's working for you then you might just go on with the USB converter. Otherwise if you really want to spend the time I would try to hook up another PC to the port with a null-modem cable and see if you than Hyperterminal from the other PC to that port. But again, personally, I wouldn't bother if you got the USB converter working.

It’s a bit of a shot in the dark but you might try going into the device manager and disable then enable the port. Make sure RSLinx is shut down (if its running as a service it takes more than just shutting it down). There might be a conflict with another program or driver and disabling the port should get rid of it.

Thanks guys for your help, i will try turning the port on and off but it fn to i will stick with running it throught the USB converter