You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old July 20th, 2018, 12:04 PM   #16
einstein_g
United States

My eventual intended application is software which I'll write to visualize miscellaneous data from variable frequency drives attached to a network of PLCs.

I'm not sure what data I can obtain from the VFDs (will cross the bridge when I get to it), but voltage is one example.

My custom software will talk to the OPC server (KepserverEX) which in turn will be connected to the PLCs.

The model of the PLCs is Allen Bradley CompactLogix 1769-L35e. The VFDs are PowerFlex 753.

My initial step is to first play around with a single Allen Bradley PLC (MicroLogix 1400), see if I can connect to it via Kepserver. This part seems straightforward -- the PLC can be directly connected to the PC running Kepserver using an Ethernet cable.

I'm just curious how I'd connect to a network of many PLCs. What will my PC be physically connected to?
Old July 20th, 2018, 12:36 PM   #17
geniusintraining
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein_g View Post
I'm just curious how I'd connect to a network of many PLCs. What will my PC be physically connected to?
I think you are overthinking it...

Connect your PC to a router and set the IP address to static via the Ethernet port, do the same with the PLC, in your OPC/HMI software you would address the PLC/Tag address and pull the data
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, Fluke Meters, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more... all your automation needs... ((NEW)) After Market 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+ and Gateways
Old July 20th, 2018, 12:48 PM   #18
the_msp
Lifetime Supporting Member
United Kingdom

Note you won't get the same functionality, as easily, out of a 1400 connected to a PF 753 as you will with an L35E.

Patrick

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMatrixEngineering
Old July 20th, 2018, 01:03 PM   #19
harryting
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

This is not on topic but...

be very weary of "roll your own". The exception being on a hobby project or for a OEM machine that will be duplicated 100x times. A one off super duper custom software can be very difficult to support in the future.
Old July 20th, 2018, 01:03 PM   #20
einstein_g
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniusintraining View Post
I think you are overthinking it...

Connect your PC to a router and set the IP address to static via the Ethernet port, do the same with the PLC, in your OPC/HMI software you would address the PLC/Tag address and pull the data
Thanks, genius
Old July 20th, 2018, 01:08 PM   #21
einstein_g
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryting View Post
This is not on topic but...

be very weary of "roll your own". The exception being on a hobby project or for a OEM machine that will be duplicated 100x times. A one off super duper custom software can be very difficult to support in the future.
Noted. For the moment, this is a hobby project, but it can potentially be turned into a product. It'll just be a visualization layer on top of existing OPC software (Kepware).
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum