IEC 61508 & IEC 61511 Compliance

boneless

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi all,

We are working on an offshore installation, to be deployed in UK waters. We had the system surveyed during a FAT by DnVGL and thought all was good, but they just found a pending comment.

In short, it states that even though compliance with the DnVGL regulations was shown, that does not mean we comply with the UK HSE requirements of IEC 61508 / 61511.

I just started delving into this, but do any of you guys have experience with how to prove compliance?

Just FYI, we use a Siemens F CPU for safety related signals and a separate CPU for control signals. This method was approved in accordance with DNV-GL-OS-D202.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Well, DNV isn't a regulatory body, therefore they cannot say that a certain system is approved by HSE or the UK government. That will have to be done by the HSE itself.

Additionally, the point of standards is that it's... well standard. If DNV says it conforms to the standard, how can it not conform to the same standard when evaluated by another body?

What this means is that HSE, although they have a great mission, also have a few dickheads working that will throw things and see if they stick because at the end of the day I believe they're assessed on "legal actions" issued.

So in reality what you would need is someone that understands the standard whenever they come onboard to refute any of their attempts at throwing **** at you and you should be fine.

Hi,

Would that mean that, if we believe we are in compliance, we could just issue a declaration of conformity? I do not actually have to submit anything for approval, just make sure I have all my ducks in a row?

It would be up to client/HSE to actually do a survey.

I'm not sure how it works on the offshore side of things in the UK. In other countries it is common to have an inspection of the installation on arrival, but generally it's only skin deep.

Did you ask DNV why that comment is there and to what specific point, if any, does it relate to?

One thing I noticed is that you said DNV regulations and not standard... didn't they survey it according to the correct standards?

It was a general comment, just stating that conforming to their regulations did not mean compliance elsewhere.

Yes, standards, sometimes English is hard :)

Thanks!