Honeywell Experion PKS experience

Rob S.

I just started a new position the start of 2014 and I need to learn Honeywell Experion PKS . Does anyone have any experience with this ?

Is Experion PKS ControlBuilder , the PLC programming software ? and what is the HMI application and Runtime software ? I had one day just to look at the environment. I would like to take the weekend to study a little bit.

Do you know of any demo software I can download ? Just having a hard time finding stuff over the internet. I kind of like the environment. It does seem like a different animal.

Thanks , and have a good weekend.

Experion PKS is Honeywell's DCS (distributed control system).

The DCS world is a closed world. There is very little public documentation other than marketing puff pieces.

There is a registration process at the Honeywell web site for access to anything other than marketing puff pieces. A little bird told me that aspirants are vetted - you need to prove who you are and why you should get access - to the DCS kingdom gatekeepers (running/operating a PKS qualifies one). But that could be urban myth.

At one time, A-B did a joint project with Honeywell, using or licensing the C200 controller (ProcessLogix?). Since you're a CLX guy, you might see some control logic similarities in the C300 processor that PKS uses.

The development software for any DCS is a server based, integrated package. That's the DCS concept: integrated control, database, communications and development/engineering. Some aspects, like asset management are optional. But it's all licensed software.

There are a couple integrators on the forum who have run into PKS, they might offer more insight.

Dear Rob,

Did you have any luck regarding getting experience on this system.
As this installed at my plant and the vendor has left after completion of the work. So we are in dire need of learning this system?

You can find information on Honeywell training courses on their public web site

https://www.honeywellprocess.com/en-US/training/Pages/e-learning.aspx

Notice that courses are on the Training tab, try the E-Learning group for this kind of listing:

PKS_training.jpg