Changing out an invertert with a VFD

Greg7683

We use inverters on our motors to control the speeds of some conveyors would it be better to use a variable frequency drive. And what would the run be for the cable 100m 200m?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say 'inverters'.

An inverter is a device for turning DC into AC.

Which is what a VFD does. With the plus that the VFD was specifically designed to
vary the frequency thus changing the speed of the AC motor it is driving. (Along
with certain other parameters such as current limiting and low voltage soft starting . . .)

I would price the inverter and a VFD that can do the job, and unless the inverter is
a lot cheaper I'd consider changing to VFD's.

Poet.

An inverter is used in UPS systems to convert battery power to AC for your computer or server farm. ... Inverter runs on constant frequency. It uses PWM to generate sign wave and regulate output voltage. VFD modulates both frequency and voltage using PWM to keep voltage to frequency ratio constant for the induction motor.

From the web

Please tell us your interpretation of the difference between an inverter and a variable frequency drive.

Well one thing I read was it uses DC into the AC or something like that ours we change the Hz to adjust the speed but ours tend to have to be reset often. So was trying to see what the difference is between the two and what one would be better.

This is a VFD, I guess Mitsubishi call them inverters I have heard the term used for them in the past but most would use the term VFD. This is a 240 vac single phase to 240 vac 3 phase so maybe that is why they call it an Inverter

I could be wrong on the single phase to three phase, what is the full part number of the drive

An inverter produces an AC waveform from a DC source. Since an inverter is at the heart of a VFD, many manufacturers use the terms interchangeably. A VFD starts with an AC input, rectifies it to DC and produces its AC output waveform from that. It also includes the ability to vary the frequency of the AC waveform it produces because to vary the speed of an AC motor you need vary the frequency of the AC supplied to it.
Solar panels produce DC electricity. An inverter associated with a solar array doesn't need the rectification stage included in a VFD.

Ours have to be rest every time the lines gets restarted or a e stop gets pushed and then we have to push the PU button and then run again I can't seem to find how to adjust it so it wont need to e reset so much.

So it is a small 12 amp 400 v series 3 phase input 3 phase output
Basically most VFD manufactures Make one that would suffice for the same application.
Some techs prefer one brand over another based on different applications or familiarity with the product. Bean counters will pick one based on price

If the VFD faults every time the line stops and you have to reset the fault before you can restart, the first thing you need to do is check the fault code before you reset. Armed with the fault code you RTFM to find the suggested remedy for that fault code. That's troubleshooting 101.