Talking to a Motortronix XLD Soft Starter using a MVI56-MCMR

I am very new when it comes to programming thing using a Prosoft card using Modbus. I am fine to figure that out by studying the manual. However I cannot seem to find good information on what kind of hardware I will need to get the two devices to talk to each other. We have a similar system with a SLC rack that uses a rs232 to rs485 converter (isolated i believe, it has its own power source) and then two wire 'daisy chain' to each of the devices. I am just trying to get my foot in the door with testing communicating over modbus with a single device for the time being before getting any permanent wiring.

The XLD soft starter uses Modbus RTU protocol over RS-485. You need the info from their manual giving you the Modbus Resister Map to be able to communicate to it. I believe this is a separate manual, it's not in the general instruction manual (last time I checked). In that manual they give you the standard Modbus RTU data packet format that you must use in the other device. How you write communications commands in the other device is going to be part of that device's instruction set.

You may have to call them for it though, I just looked on line and it's no longer there I think because the XLD series is now "legacy".