new 1756-L71: firmware installation not working

I'm not all that elegant either.
icon6.gif

My new controller will be a 1756-L63 not a 1757-L63. The upgrade from 1756-L61 cost little if anything at all, and there is drastically more memory on the L63 controller.

Many thanks for all your help 🍺

I didn't even notice the typo !

There was a very short-lived product with the "1757" bulletin number, called the ProcessLogix. But it had different controller numbers and Honeywell-joint-venture software.

1756 controllers include the whole ControlLogix family, from the late-'90s-vintage 1756-L1 to the modern 1756-L8xE controllers.

1756-L6x are two generations old and make up a substantial portion of the installed base of ControlLogix.

The 1756-L6x controllers accept up to v20 firmware, and if I was handed one and told to commission a system with it, I would install RSLogix 5000 version 20.05 and the newest firmware for the controller(20.019 for the 1756-L63), and go from there.

There was a confusing compatibility issue having to do with security signatures in the first releases of v20.x, so jump past that by installing RSLogix 5000 v20.05 and not any of the earlier versions.

My background is working with Siemens PLCs, and now I am trying to learn about Allen-Bradley PLCs. I am doing this on my own dime.

I purchase my hardware second hand on EBAY. My software came pre-loaded on a laptop which I also bought on Ebay. It came with RSLogix Version 20 and RSLogix Studio 5000.

I learned Siemens this way. The Siemens training paid off for me, but there is a lot more demand for Allen-Bradley programmers and techs.

My software came pre-loaded on a laptop which I also bought on Ebay.

100% of the "laptops pre-loaded with RSLogix software" on eBay have pirated activations and are being sold as part of felony copyright infringement conspiracies. It's been a while since Rockwell made Federal criminal complaints, but a couple guys in Indiana did time over it a few years ago.

I'm all for folks taking initiative to learn on their own, and I'm aware of the very high cost of the Rockwell toolsets. I'm just reminding you not to be surprised when you get sold defective controllers and software for which you cannot get support or upgrades.

This is just for a trainer for my own use, I'm not a contractor. If I was integrating these for someone, then I would need to use factory-new parts and software.

Sure.

I'm particularly touchy about the topic of counterfeit software, even for educational purposes, because I was a front-line support employee for Rockwell for many years and those un-paid purchases and support fees came directly out of the budget that put food on my table.

I still donate my time and experience to this Forum, because it's a great resource for everyone in the industry.

But if I've got a sore spot, eBay software pirates are it. Oh, and Pete Carroll.