Siemens Step 7 and RSLogix on same PC

My Windows 7 64 bit laptop has Step 7 on it.

I am going to do a Rockwell job tomorrow.

Do you know if there are any issues with installing RSLogix 500 or RSLogix 5000 on the same PC?

Thanks,

Dave

I can't give you any specific warnings, but I have found that Rockwell and Siemens software tend to not play nice with each other. Hell, Rockwell tends to not play nice with anyone.

I set all my different OEM's up with their own virtual machine, that way they can have free reign and they have nobody to fight with.

I'm running TIA 13, S7 Pro, WinCC, FTView, RSlogix 5, 500, 5000 and Linx. Along with a ton of other software on Win7 Pro 64 inside a VM running on a beast W10 machine. The vm is nice, if something gets screwy i pull up my snapshot. But you have to be vigilant in backing up your work outside of the Vm otherwise it will be lost when you restore the snap. I keep all of my files on my 2nd HDD as a shared folder to the VM. With the exception of FTView, this keeps my files safe from VM failure. Ugh, HATE FTView.

No issues that I know of. But I still recommend to run "big" software groups in their own VM environment. It makes troubleshooting and maintenance easier. If you run into a problem, you may have a feeling it can be because the software does not play nice with each other. Even if that turns out to be false, you may waste valuable time chasing an issue that isnt there.
If you take snapshots before installing an update, then the snapshots will be much bigger if you have one mega VM rather than several smaller.

I think VMs are the standard solution that most everyone uses these days.

It is hypothetically possible, but none of the vendors will support it. The problem is usually the communication drivers fighting with each other. It was a huge problem with serial ports/USB, but I think i've heard that people are less likely to have issues with programming comms over Ethernet. Then again, I've also heard that different versions of RSLinx don't play nice with each other, so I'm not sure where the truth falls.

I use VMware Workstation to manage my VMs (I have many), I've never used either of those tools. One of the tricks for you may be getting a Windows license for each VM. Unless you can do that through your IT group, you might have to go out and get them yourself. I'm not sure if you can just go buy a windows 7 license any more, Microsoft is pushing the whole Windows 10 thing.

I use VMware Workstation to manage my VMs (I have many), I've never used either of those tools. One of the tricks for you may be getting a Windows license for each VM. Unless you can do that through your IT group, you might have to go out and get them yourself. I'm not sure if you can just go buy a windows 7 license any more, Microsoft is pushing the whole Windows 10 thing.

You can still find Win7 Pro OEM through online retailers. Last one I got was about $129 I think. Also using VMware Workstation.