How do i find unknown plc ip address

Saudi jamal

Dear all,
we have allen breadly plc compactlogix L32.i dont know the ip address of this plc.so i could not get communication with plc.
kindly guide me.how can i find ip address. actualy i would like to upload the program for back up.
kind regards.
jamal.

If you have a copy of the program, go to the modules, right click on the ethernet one then go to port configuration and it should be there.

If you dont have one, then I find serial lead the easiest, go online and then do the above steps.

If you know at least what subnet it is on you can do a broadcast ping and look at the MAC address (assuming you have no other A-B PLC's in that submet) to distinguish which one it is. Or connect directly and see what replies.

Connect it to your laptop via ethernet isolating it from anything else. Run angry ip or Wireshark to find all active ips. Pretty simple.

Better way,

Open up the RSLinx program and create a new connection via the EtherNet/IP driver. Make sure its the EtherNet/IP and not just Ethernet. Any devices on the network which has EtherNet/IP abilities (Like the L23) will broadcast a whois packet every 30 seconds or so and contained in that packet will be the information of the device you can see the IP there.

Not to mention you can establish a connection to the PLC using the EtherNet/IP driver and you don't have to be in the same local TCP subnet to do this. That way if your computer is setup with 192.168.1.XXX and the plc is like 10.1.10.XXX something, using the EtherNet/IP driver you can still communicate to the device because you're using TCP/UDP packets not TCP strictly.

Give it a shot.

RSLinx_EthernetIP.jpg

Last edited:
Hi guys,
Thank-you very much to everyone. My problem has been solved.
Special thanks to Mr.rhys_M and Mr.esponda. I was followed your instructions and found IP address and upload the program and keep beck up for future use.
Kind regards.
Jamal.