Encoder splitter

g.mccormick

Lifetime Supporting Member
I need to split encoder signal to drive as well as PLC. Does anyone have a specific one that they have had good luck with?

Have you thought about just going straight to the drive, and then getting the encoder data from the drive over fieldbus? A Fieldbus card for the drive, if it's available, might be cheaper than an encoder splitter and an encoder input for the PLC.

Fanuc makes a encoder repeater board that takes the input from one encoder and splits it four ways. After repairing several of these, I can't say that I would recommend it.

Thanks for the link.

My application will be averaging a torque signal over the revolution of the motor. I need the high speed into the plc, and the drive also needs the speed.

I have been using Dynapar splitters in similar applications for quite a while; easy to install and 'abuse' tolerating; been even 'cascaded' two of them several times for 'three-way splitting'...No issues whatsoever...

Doesn't the drive have an encoder output signal?

Some drives do, some don't. Yaskawa Sigma series drives can produce the quadrature encoder output, even with an option to change the number of pulses per revolution. Beckhoff drives do not have such option but the value can be transferred to other parts of the system via EtherCAT link. So that cat can be skinned in many different ways.

I have been using Dynapar splitters in similar applications for quite a while; easy to install and 'abuse' tolerating; been even 'cascaded' two of them several times for 'three-way splitting'...No issues whatsoever...

The Fanucs will cascade as well, but if you have a fault at the end of the chain it has been know to destroy every splitter back up the channel.

I still have a couple on my bench at home that need repair. :)