Get/Set Powerflex 755 time

rdrast

Lifetime Supporting Member
Okay, I'm beating my head against a CIP wall here.

Does anybody know how to read and set the time from a Logix PLC over Ethernet?

It looks to me like Service code "E", Class 9B, Instance 1, Attribute 2 should return a structure of the drive's real time clock (Int, short short short short short short), and it does, but the values are completely wrong for time (-11 Months, 115 day of the month, etc).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Does it support RTC. It is written that RTC is not always supported (pg.179 of 750COM-UM001F)

Also it says USINT, could it be -11?

I've never test this but whenever I get in front of PF755 I'll give it a try, seems interesting.

Just to throw this out there and you may already know. In order for the 755 to retain time, a battery needs to be installed on the board with the comm ports.

Just heads up if you didn’t know already.

Knowledge base article 514860, has a walk through on how to set the time using message instructions.

I would use a GSV to detect when the drive is not communicating with the PLC and then send the time to the drive using the message instruction.

Common problem of the modern day...

755s use a small Lithium battery to back up the clock. But you cannot ship even little coin cell lithium batteries via air freight now, so 755s are shipped without a battery installed and in the instructions, it tells you what battery to buy and you must install it. Most people don’t use the RTC in the drive and of those that do, 50% plus don’t RTFM to know that they need to install the battery, so the clock resets every time power is cycled. Of the ones that do install it, some use cheap batteries from the Dollar Store that die 2 months after being installed.