You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old July 2nd, 2018, 06:08 AM   #1
jatui
Ireland

RSLogix5000 edit history

Hi all, I have a question on rslogix5000 code. An edit was made to a rung within a routine, this edit was running on test on and off as we needed it. At some point, someone had finalized the edit. My question is can I look back and find out what date or time the edit was finalized or when the code was last saved. I really wanted to know how long the edit was finalized. Thanks
Old July 2nd, 2018, 10:26 AM   #2
mdim
Bulgaria

if you have the .bac file, you can check it's date. As far as I remember, by default RSL5k saves 4 last backups.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 10:31 AM   #3
jatui
Ireland

Thanks mdim, Where would this file be located.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 10:40 AM   #4
mdim
Bulgaria

It should be in the same folder where your .acd file is. When you modify somethig, it creates a file with name like "Originalfilename.BAKXXX.Windowsusername.acd"

BAKXXX is the number of the backup
Old July 2nd, 2018, 11:33 AM   #5
jatui
Ireland

Thanks mdim i will check it out.
Old July 6th, 2018, 02:38 PM   #6
sthompson
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Canada

You can also increase the number of Backups created in the Options.

I also have a Backup Directory that I move older Backups to so that I have an Audit Trail.

Stu....
Old July 7th, 2018, 05:18 AM   #7
daba
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatui View Post
Hi all, I have a question on rslogix5000 code. An edit was made to a rung within a routine, this edit was running on test on and off as we needed it. At some point, someone had finalized the edit. My question is can I look back and find out what date or time the edit was finalized or when the code was last saved. I really wanted to know how long the edit was finalized. Thanks

Leaving edits in a processor, so that you can switch them on and off as you described, is never going to be a good idea, and presumably you now know the reason why. The other thing to consider is that having edits "on test" would have prevented the other person making edits himself, so he would have switched them to "Untest Edits". That may have been done at a wholly inappropriate moment, and the usual warnings about personnel and/or machine safety would definitely apply, as you don't get a confirmation box to come out of "Test Edits" mode.

You could, of course, use conditional JMPs and LBLs to "switch" code in and out, as needed, but I find a cleaner solution is to move the two rungs, or sections of code, to new subroutine files, and use conditional JSRs in the main code to decide which to execute.
abtrain@tiscali.co.uk
www.abtrain.co.uk
tel: 07506 73 9999
nil illegitimi carborundem

Old August 7th, 2018, 05:36 AM   #8
jatui
Ireland

hi DABA, Thanks for that i am only getting back to this issue today. the code is accessible to all and we just use the test to override an error when were waiting for spare parts. so we needed a spare sensor and to overcome the sensor alarm we would put test code in place but at some point the code was excepted and ment,
even with the new sensor replaced the error would never come on as it was permanently overridden, we just dont know how long its been like this. but your right bad practice is in place for this type of thing.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum