Only cause i've never done it before

John Morris

Lifetime Supporting Member
Rookie question

I want to run Ethernet from PLC cabinet to HMI cabinet some 27 feet away.

On this project we are using cabling to connect remote devices

The idea was to break out the Ethernet cable into separate strands to terminal blocks, then through the cable to HMI cabinet, through the terminal blocks, then break into an Ethernet plug to the HMI.

Has anyone ever attempted this? Was it successful? If not why?

Your shared experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and attention

Last edited:
I've never tried it, but it doesn't sound like a good idea. I want my network cables as one solid run for the most reliability.

Sure, I've done that when there was no other reasonable choice, but you risk data loss. Cat5e cable has four (4) twisted pairs with each pair having a different twist ratio and then, when terminated in an RJ45 connector, the wires are specifically divided and organized. All of this is done to attempt to reduce data loss.

For 30 feet, why not just run the cable the entire distance?

Ethernet pairs are carefully twisted for the purposes of noise cancellation. You should only use RJ45 plugs and sockets to connect Ethernet cables.

There are DIN-rail mountable sockets and couplers that are widely available from multiple manufacturers.

Breaking out Ethernet conductors to general-purpose terminal blocks is guaranteed to cause major signal problems.

Hmm

The cabling we were thinking of using is a 22 gauge with 8 twisted pairs, each foil shielded with a drain wire topped off with the annoying cellophane wrap

If I skip the terminal blocks and wire the Ethernet directly to the bulkhead cable connector ( pin to socket ), using every other pair for separation,

Then pull the other end directly into an RJ45 plug and into the HMI

Would this increase my odds of success.

I know the option is a bulkhead RJ45 then run the Ethernet.

But one more penetration in this cabinet and it will be officially Swiss.

Last edited:
If you're trying to use non-Ethernet cabling to achieve Ethernet communications, just stop.

Do you have any routing already into this cabinet that would accommodate Cat5e/6 cable? Preferably a low-voltage entry point?

It's all TE connectors,

Last job we did, we spent four days on site connecting the control cabinet to the machine.

This time the bright idea was to cable EVERYTHING, turning it into plug and play.

Six power plugs (75 amp), six I/O 37 wire cables, nine 8 pair shielded cables for all the 4-20, two small power connectors for auxiliary, and one RJ 45/ 120 volt carriage for connecting to the PLC with out open the door any more. Customer was very strict about open live panels.

I have about six inches of free real-estate left to throw a RJ45 bulk head in.

Thank you all for your time and valuable attention to this.

Sure beats banging the head against the wall.

Do you know, for example, how important is for Ethernet cabling to have the shortest possible distance without twisting? a few millimeters are important.
Do not play with that, use the correct cable and connectors.
If you wish, there are more robust Ethernet cables, also shielded, for industrial use

Lutze, 492075 bulkhead connector.

Those are the same as Eaton has for $17.00. Don't know who makes them tho, but I have a few around here.

I have been using the A-B M12 D coded bulkheads with a 1 meter shielded RJ45 on the other end. $24.00 and painless.