You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old August 27th, 2018, 12:37 PM   #1
SophieA
United States

Studio 5000 Search Replace

I'm trying to Search and Replace a bunch of different tags after mapping the I/O of a migrated project. The Search - Replace Limit is set to 'Text Only' and grayed out so I cannot change it. Help states to:

"Choose an option from this menu to configure what the Find What field represents.

Note: This option is not available if you are searching within the Tag Editor/Data Monitor."

I am not in the Tag Editor, so I am stumped here. I've tried to use the Search and Replace browsers (box with the 3 dots) to select the exact tags of interest, but it still just looks for matching text strings and goes to work, and in the process has created a bunch of undefined tags sprinkled all over various subroutines. Beautiful.

Thoughts from more experienced users of 5000 - pulling out my hair.
Old August 27th, 2018, 12:52 PM   #2
Phrog30
United States

Are you trying to do this online? You can't, offline only.
Old August 27th, 2018, 12:54 PM   #3
A_G
United States

I usually use Ctrl F, it brings up the Find and Replace Tool
Old August 27th, 2018, 01:00 PM   #4
travispedley
United States

Have to be careful, i always save before a Search and Replace for just this reason. I don't know a workaround other than to pay close attention to what you're actually trying to replace.
Old August 27th, 2018, 01:25 PM   #5
SophieA
United States

This is all Off-Line.

If I start with just 'Find' the 'Limit' is selectable, so I choose 'References to exact tag and its members', but as soon as I click on 'Replace' the 'Limit' defaults back to 'Text only'.

This seems like a serious shortcoming of the program. I've used Search - Replace on other PLC editors with no problem. It is such a fundamental task that I've got to believe I am missing something.

I've gone to doing a 'Find', and then individually editing the tag name on each rung. But with dozens of instances of some tags this is a burden.
Old August 27th, 2018, 01:58 PM   #6
saultgeorge
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

I don't know if you're doing what I think you are, but I did a complex project where I used Control "F" and the replace feature to change a lot of tags. I didn't do anything with the limit or reference to exact text. If I had a tag "AHU_9_HEAT_SP" and I wanted it to say "AHU_10_HEAT_SP" like I'm doing now, then I copied the first tag into the replace with box and made my edit. If I remember, it won't carry over descriptors. I had to use a CSV for the descriptors. I brought them in first and then the tag would populate it's descriptor when I created it.
Be careful to only select "This Routine". I accidentally did a whole program and had to delete it and import it in and start over. If you already knew all this, then sorry for wasting your time. Good luck.
Old August 27th, 2018, 05:22 PM   #7
SophieA
United States

saultgeorge - little different as all my 'new' tags are all defined in the I/O mapping routine. Now I just need to replace the I/O alias tags throughout all the other routines with the mapped I/O tags. But as I said before, it is not replacing tags, but replacing text strings.
Old August 28th, 2018, 07:32 PM   #8
JaxGTO
United States

Are you setting up the items to search using the 'Find Within' button?
Old August 29th, 2018, 09:47 PM   #9
ArtWalls
United States

Have you tried saving the project to an L5K file and doing the edit/replace in a text editor?

We do this on a regular basis with programs and routines, occasionally on full projects.

The text being replaced has to be fairly distinctive.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum