Which Trade Magazine to Advertise in

Phil Buchanan

Lifetime Supporting Member
I wanted to do some advertising for my PLC training business but I know there is a lot of trade magazines out there that would be a good fit but I only have a budget for 1 right now and wanted to get opinions on which magazine the community thinks would give me the most bang for my buck.

I was looking at these below but please feel free to add some if I am missing a good one.

Control Design

Automation World

Control Engineering

EC&M

Maintenance Technology

Uptime

Electrical Contractor

Electrical Trade

Plant Engineering

Electrical News

TED Magazine

IMPO

Plant Services

FM Industry Magazine

Facility Manager Magazine

Manufacturing Today

Efficient Plant

If you contact the publications you are interested in and indicate your interest they will send you a guide that indicates rates, numbers of subscribers, geographic areas covered, target readership, etc. Many will also indicate if they have the ability to help you with ad layout and so on. That will help you decide where to put your money.

I'm familiar with about half of the publications in your list but the only one I make a habit of skimming through is EC&M. I enjoy looking at Russ Leblanc's code violation photos and the forensic case studies. Mike Holt's NEC articles are also worth looking at. Virtually all of the other magazines that show up in my inbox go directly into the trash.

+1 for EC&M. If I weren't so old, I would think I would be your target audience. A basic Bubba that needs to know more about PLC programming and PLC related issues than he currently does. EC&M is the only one that I read everytime it comes out.
If you could get ad space on the Mike Holt website, that would probably serve you even better than in a print magazine.

Bubba.

What is EC&M?
Is there a website for EC&M?
We post articles and advertise is many magazines.
I/we are not familiar with EC&M
I realize that a company's need for advertising is much different from a individuals.
From my experience, getting chummy with a particular PLC company company helps a lot. There are so many people that need to get stuff done and can't find people to do it.

What is EC&M?
Is there a website for EC&M?
We post articles and advertise is many magazines.
I/we are not familiar with EC&M
I realize that a company's need for advertising is much different from a individuals.
From my experience, getting chummy with a particular PLC company company helps a lot. There are so many people that need to get stuff done and can't find people to do it.

https://www.ecmweb.com/
Mainly geared towards electricians, and electrical contractors, with some useful maintenance stuff tossed in too.

Bubba.

Tom has a good idea.
The mags recommended above are read by guys that are already PLC literate. I would look for mechanical or fluid power type publications.

I would stay away from them all.... but thats just me

I would put my budget into Google Adwords, Search Campaigns, Bing and a good SEO, later down the road I would look into them but your biggest bang for your buck will be Google also work on good content for your site, offer some free beginner lessons and sample troubleshooting that your potential customers can learn from and get interested in your teaching and make a few Youtube Videos

You maybe interested in InfoPLC (www.infoplc.net).
PM if you need help with Spanish, either for the advertising or for translating your courses.

Google and YouTube, if someone wants training on how to learn something, they will not look through a magazine, they will search online first. You also have a wider audience online, as anyone can stumble upon it. How many people will stumble upon the one specific magazine and on the one specific page with your ad?