Adding PowerFlex 525 Drives to a RS Logix 5000 program

Cydog

Good Evening ,

I was searching the forum for any discussions involving adding PowerFlex 525 Drives to a RS Logix 5000 program. I found a very good discussion concerning this started by Phuz around July 28th , 2016 and GT Unit described this procedure that I found out that worked yesterday......

Go online with the processor.
Save the program.
Go OFFLINE and stay offline.
Go into the RSLogix IO Tree and right click on the Drive in question and select "Properties"
Click on the "Drive" tab.
Click on the "UPLOAD" button.
Navigate to the CORRECT drive in the RSLinx window that pops up.
Select "OK"
(Parameters will now download)
Once complete click on "Apply"
Then SAVE the program.
Once complete you MUST DOWNLOAD the program to the processor.

(This process cannot be done in Online mode)

The question I have now is , what would be the best way to replace a PowerFlex 525 Drive , if one would fail ? What would be the procedure ? I imagine you still need to set your IP Address in C129,C130,C131 , C132 . and set C128 to 1. But can you download the RS Logix 5000 program to give the new drive the "Datalinks" and parameters ? I want the easiest way for our maintenance technicians to replace the drive.

Thanks so much in advance .

The 525s with an EIP port can be configured with the AOP (add-on profile) and ADC (automatic device configuration) can be enabled. "With ADC, the Logix controller can automatically detect a replaced drive and download all configuration parameters, eliminating the need for manual reconfiguration and reducing downtime."

see technote 520710

A good example of setting it up in RSLogix 5000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUP7eEgylJY&t=197s

From Rockwell also:
The recommendation is to perform your normal configuration setup and commissioning first and enable ADC as the last step in your commissioning process. Start by enabling it first for one drive and testing the operation before enabling additional drives. Make sure your RSLogix 5000/Studio 5000 project has the configuration intended for the drive. When creating a new drive module in RSLogix it starts with default data until you configure it by doing an upload from drive, match drive, or setup all options and parameters as intended. If you enable ADC on a module in RSLogix that is still at defaults, the controller will program the drive to defaults as well.

ADC involves Logix controller ownership of a drive's configuration settings. Each time the controller establishes an I/O connection with an ADC-enabled drive, it will check configuration signatures in the drive to see if it matches what's in the controller. If the signatures match, no ADC download is needed and it is not performed. If the signatures do not match, ADC is performed.

Last edited:
Ok , so if I add the "ADC (automatic device configuration)" during the setup , when a replacement drive is installed and powered up , you say it will download the configuration automatically to the drive ? How does that actually work ?

Also , do I still need to download the Add On Profiles from the Rockwell Automation website , and use them ? When you say the "Add On Profiles " do I need to download one for each of my 17 PowerFlex 525 drives ?

I'm sorry , I know it sounds like dumb questions.

Thanks for your wisdom like always ,

ADC works by communicating to the drive by its IP address. It checks the configuration and if if does't match it will download the configuration from RS Logix 5000 to the drive. This will occur if you need to replace the drive. You may only need to put an IP address in the drive, depends on setup of your network. Some people use managed switch to assign the address based on the port the drive is plugged into. If no managed switch then static ip must be assigned manually.

You only need one AOP for all your PowerFlex525 drives.. It is the same as with other modules such as digital input or output cards. Once you have the AOP RS Logix 5000 will recognize the device. With firmware updates or changes you may need to get a newer version of the AOP but only if you update to new firmware in the drives that require the newer AOP.

Last edited:
You'll need the AOP to be able to add it to your ethernet tree in the first place. Basically, the AOP is what tells Logix (and the PLC) what sort of device it is, and how to talk to it. Once Logix (and the PLC) know about the device, you can add it to the tree and configure ADC.

Good Morning ,

I hope this is the last question. I created a folder on my desktop , downloaded the AOP from Rockwell's website , and unzipped the folder.

My question is , I really can not see an example or video , on how to insert the PowerFlex 525 AOP in the tree and my RS Logix program. Any thoughts or
links that may help ?

Thanks so much and sorry for stretching this thread out .

It's been a long time since I downloaded an AOP, but I'd be guessing that there's an .msi or .exe or some other type of installer file in there that you have to run?

First check to see if you already have the AOP. They're installed automatically with newer versions of Logix Designer, so depending on what version you have, you might not even need to install the AOP. Just try and add a PF525 to your ethernet tree and see if it appears in the list of possible devices.