Ascii strings and programming constants

02js4130

HI,

i am having trouble trying to differentiate between 2 strings using just integers, so i need to do a string compare and use the letters to differentiate and this will work perfect. The in-comming data is from a barcode scanner.

My problem comes with my limited knowledge on how to hard code a constant value in a string....any help would be great??

I am using rslogix 500 and a micrologix 1200 with an ascii module.

The strings i need too compare are quite long:

^J0922^AT08RM00030\00
AND
^J0922^AT08FL0003A\00

Both strings can only be differentiate by 3 as integers and that is my problem, idealy i would like just too use 3A.

Thank you for any help :)

I think you need to put the "hardcoded" string value into a tag and use that tag in the compare. I dont think you can put a string into a compare function directly.

Here are the RSLogix ASCII String Control instructionsthat you have to work with. ASR may work for your comparison.

If you know that the internal location of your integers are always at the same place, you can use AEX to extract only that integer portion, then do a ACI on that portion, then check the integer value using regular integer instructions.
My problem comes with my limited knowledge on how to hard code a constant value in a string....any help would be great??
To enter a string in RSLogix memory, first set up a String Data File (ST9 perhaps), then click on "Data Files, ST9", then type in your Strings in two of the 82 string memory locations.

RSLogix String Instructions.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for the reply's! much help.

I have solved the problem using your methods of inputting via the data table and it works a treat.

Also learnt something new :)