Wonderware ArchestrA question

A_G

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have to work on a Wonderware HMI and have very little experience with it.

The basic idea is to copy an old project, make a few edits, and load it on a new computer.

I got the old project .aaPKG and imported into ArchestrA. My first question is, do I need to create a new Galaxy for this project? Right now I have a couple old example projects in my default galaxy. Do I need a separate galaxy for each project?

I can edit the screens ok in InTouch Windowmaker. My next question is, when I've made all the edits and ready to load on my customer's computer, how do I do this? How do I make an application that the customer can run?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ArchestrA v 4.1

Last edited:
Hi, I do a lot of work in Wonderware so hopefully I can help.

I would suggest having separate galaxies for each project, yes.

As for how to put it on the new system, you create a Galaxy, and in that Galaxy you create an instance of your application and then "deploy" the project to the runtime machine (which can be the same machine as the development machine). If you're using InTouch and not Archestra, you'd simply open the application in InTouch. Both solutions will utilize WindowViewer to open the application for runtime usage.

If you can provide a link via DropBox, I'd be happy to take a look at the application and provide some guidance.

Archestra is really unnecessary for simpler projects without multiple machines having the application deployed to them. If possible I'd suggest using InTouch as the application manager, you can import aapkg files and still use the Archestra graphics if they're being used in the project.

Last edited:
Believe it or not I'm still working on this project.

I now have to change the screen resolution but can't figure out how to do it.

I found some info online but it looks like it is for standalone InTouch projects, but my project uses ArchestrA.

Anyone know how to change the screen resolution? (Changing the resolution of the workstation it will run on, is not an option because then it won't match past projects)

Thanks in advance.

Hi, thanks for the update on your project.

OK, so screen resolution. That's a bit of a mucky subject, but let's walk through it and see if we can find a solution.

Let's start out with why the resolution needs to be changed; what is the issue you're dealing with?

When I'm developing in ArchestrA, then when I open WindowMaker and the screen resolution doesn't match the project resolution, I get a pop up that notifies me the resolutions don't match, and do I want ArchestrA to modify the project resolution. DO NOT DO THIS. Maybe there's a way to make it work, but every time I've tried literally every object (text, graphics) gets stretched/shrunk in bizarre ways, there's no way to undo it, and you'd have to go and manually modify every single object in the project.

That being said, if I say "no" to resolution adjustment, the project opens and operates just fine. My issue is that I have 1920x1200 monitors at work, but most clients have 1920x1080 and I have a few projects where I didn't adjust my resolution before developing. That being said they open just fine so all I have to do is ignore the pop up.

InTouch, on the other hand, will not allow you to open a project if the resolutions don't match. It'll simply quit WindowMaker and then you gotta do something about it.

So that all being said, are you having specific issues with your resolutions not matching?

To make a long story short, I did most of the development on my laptop and didn't worry about the resolution. Then I got a monitor that is supposed to be the same size as the one my customer has, so my next step is making the project fit the monitor properly. At the moment, it doesn't. The graphics only take up about 75% of the screen and they are shifted to the left.

The project I'm working on is supposed to be similar to an older project, so I started with the old .aapkg file. It did give me a popup asking if I want to change the resolution. I used to say "no" and ignore it, until last week, when I said "yes" hoping that it would resolve my issue. Instead it didn't seem to do anything except make some of the text shrink.

Update: after a lot of trial and error it was resolved by opening the project on another PC then exporting and importing back into original PC. The only thing is that the fonts came in with weird sizes and had to be fixed.

Maybe you should edit the Intouch.INI for each project and change this parameter:
Change ScaleForResolution=1
to
ScaleForResolution=0.

This way if the app on the running system is say 1024x728 and your computer monitor is 1920x1080, it will open the app on your computer in 1920x1080 but the windows will stay at 1024x768.

I have a lot of Intouch applications at different resolutions, but my computer is 1920x1080. I do not want to continue to change my resolution to meet the requirements of the original app. This makes it very easy.

Last edited: