Load Cell project help

khaledgenidy

Hi everyone, so as i am still new to this.
I will need help to confirm my connections load cell to my plc
load cell will run on 10V max so that wont be able to power directly from the plc
i am using analog out
datasheet for load cell showing the input voltage 10V
wires GN --> +Output
WT --> - Output
BK --> -Input
RD --> +Input

I need advice connection wise or if someone have an old application can refer me to.

Thanks,

Well, Would need a part number to give you any kind of real information.

Is there an amplifier associated w/ this load cell? What range is the output given in?

Actually, based on those wire colors, I suspect you don't have an amplifier.
So, you'll probably want one of those that can output in a range your PLC can deal with.

load cells operate on a mv per volt system.

I strongly recommend that you use a load cell amplifier to get the signal you want into the plc.
you can buy 0-10 volts out or a 4-20 ma output.

BUT FIRST !
what is your application?
this makes a huge difference on the size of the load cell to buy.
load cell shock will typically destroy a load cell within 6 months or sooner.

regards,
james

You'd need either a load cell amplifier that provides the load cell with a 5V or 10V excitation voltage and converts the load cell output to an analog input signal that your PLC can handle (typically 0..10VDC, 4-20mA). Converting to actual weights (or force) to be calculated in your PLC logic.

Or use a load cell amplifier/digitizer that can pass the values via a field bus system to your PLC (modbus RS485/RS232, modbus/tcp, CAN, profibus, ethernet/IP, etc). Some of these have advanced configuration options, like weight/force calibration and filtering. Quality and amount of features typically correlates with price: more/better features = higher price.

For selection of components do take into account whether or not your application requires certification for trade applications (like weighing of products for trade).

+1 for the point that James makes: mechanical design not to be taken lightly

You'd need either a load cell amplifier that provides the load cell with a 5V or 10V

thats a good point i work with COMPACT THROUGH-HOLE
LOAD CE

My application should just check for the weight but connection have to be through PLC

does any one have a sample program i can play with
Compact Logix

you also need to address the following.

How much weight.
how big of a container - you may need multiple load cells to weigh the storage bin and material.
if you use multiple load cells, you will need to buy an integrated system, ie. load cells and summation controller.

james

Those hardy load cell modules are brilliant. I currently have two of the single channel versions I am using to replace load cell amplifiers and analog input cards.

Those hardy load cell modules are brilliant.
+1

They really do all the hard stuff for you and their setup is flexible enough for about any weighing application you could come up with.

I also used their summing board for an inline package checkweigher system and found them to be quite useful and well made too. The "IT" features even with regular load cells were handy for my situation.

http://www.hardysolutions.com/produ...ct/511/hi-6020it-and-hi-6020jb-junction-boxes