CQM1-CPU21-E Serial Cable to Program

magaete

Dear All,

I bought a Omron CQM1-CPU21-E PLC in Ebay and now I want to program it. The PLC brings two serial interfaces (Peripheral and RS232). For which of these I can program the PLC using CX-Programmer V6.11? Which cable do I need to buy to connect it to the DB-9 of the PC?

Thank's
Mauricio

I try using this configuration:

PLC PC

PC pin union
4-6

I connect the DB9 male to the RS232 Port of the PLC and the DB9 female to the RS232 of the PC, and the CX-Programmer does not found the PLC :(

Is posible to use only the DB9 connection to program the CQM1-CPU21-E? or I need to use only the CQM1-CIF02??

Your problem is RTS/CTS handshaking.
Your cable is set to require that handshake, you need to modify the cable to ignore the handshake, like the link I provided.

You will need to short pins 4 and 5 together on the PLC side.
Also short pins 7 and 8 on the PC side.

I use the cable diagram from the posted link to the DB9 port. I do not have the CQM1-CIF02 cable.

See attached pdf file.

Last edited:
I try using this configuration (short pins 4 and 5 PLC and short pins 7 and 8 PC) but I have no connection to the PLC :(
Is posible that I need to change something in the dip switch?
Is only posible to program the PLC using the Peripheral por?

Thank's to all

What is the EXACT message you get when trying to connect to the CQM1?

Dip Switch 5 needs to be ON. Depending on the date of manufacture, the baud rate could be 9600 or 2400. 7 data bits, even parity and 2 stop bits is common for both baud rates.

The RS232 port CAN be used for programming. There is a possiblity that the port has been damaged (may be why it was on ebay).

CQM1 programming manual is Omron manual #W228, operation (hardware) manual is W226. You may want to see if you can download the manuals to help answer some of your questions.

Hope this will help.

The message that I get is "failed to connect" using SYSMAC WAY with this configuration: baud rate 9600 7 data bits, even parity and 2 stop bits. The COM2 led flashed when try to connect.

I am using a laptop to connect, may be if I try using a standar PC I can connect....

Thank you.
Mauricio

Did you try changing the baud rate to 2400?
On older units the default baud rate was 2400.

Does your laptop have a "real" serial port, or are you using a USB to serial adapter?

Can you post the "LOT" number of your CPU?

If will be on a label on the unit, should be a four or five character code, with the first two character being numbers.
Full cpu part number should also be on the label.

Based on your Lot Code, it appears that the cpu was manufactured in July of 1994. The default comm parameters would be 2400 baud,7 data bits, even parity, 1 start bit and 1 stop bit.

Newer units use 2 stop bits and 9600 baud (see below).

Hope this will help.

CQM1_DipSw.jpg

Gtsuport,

I found the error. The pin out of the cable DB9 was with missed connections. I fixed the cable and finally I could connect the PLC.

Now I have another problem: I can connect the PLC to the CX-Programmer, go to on-line mode, change to run, program and monitoring but I cannot download the program from the PLC to the PC the error it is: failed to load the program (failed to load).

If I use the Syswin3.4 I can download the program, however, the program cannot read from CX-Programmer. It seems that you can only program from Syswin3.4

Thank you, and was my mistake :(

magaete said:
Now I have another problem: I can connect the PLC to the CX-Programmer, go to on-line mode, change to run, program and monitoring but I cannot download the program from the PLC to the PC the error it is: failed to load the program (failed to load).

If I use the Syswin3.4 I can download the program, however, the program cannot read from CX-Programmer. It seems that you can only program from Syswin3.4

Hello magaete,
If the program can be uploaded (PLC to PC) using Syswin, then it should be possible to transfer the program from the PLC to the PC using CX-Programmer.
Unfortunately, I can't think (off the top of my head) what may be stopping you from doing this.
Do you have any further info?