RSLogix 5000 "Unspecified Communications Problem"...

Eric Nelson

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
At a customer right now, trying to upload the program from a CompactLogix 1769-L32E/A processor (with v15 firmware). RSLinx see it fine, and the controller is named. When I try to upload, I can get to the 'Create Project and Upload?' prompt, but as soon as I click Yes, it goes offline and I get the attached error message.

In RSLogix, I get 'completed with 0 warnings and 1 error'...

Error - No project in controller

I think there is a program in it, since the 'RUN' light comes on, but I'm not sure.

Any ideas???... :confused:

🍻

-Eric

logixerror.jpg

Have you got V15 software installed on your PC ?

And yes, you can put a processor with no program in it into RUN mode.

Last edited:
Apparently, the program was indeed missing. Thankfully, the customer had an identical machine WITH a program, so I was able to upload that one and use it in this machine.

Good to know about the RUN mode with no program. Thanks!... :site:

🍻

-Eric

I may have misled you.... you can put a processor into RUN with a BLANK project (i.e. no code), but a processor with NO project ? I've never tried to do this, so I will have to give it a go, see what happens (tomorrow, if I'm not too busy). Although your posts suggests you can.... hmmm

yep ... the lights are on - but there's nobody home ...

from the "secret handshake" department ...

with CompactLogix and ControlLogix the processor's OK and Run LEDs can both be on steady green - even with ZERO program loaded ... see page 131 ...

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1769-um011_-en-p.pdf

imagine how confusing that is to an untrained maintenance tech - or even worse - to an operator just trying to recover after a power failure with a dead processor battery ...

(A) the OK light is on ...
(B) the Run light is on ...

so WHY on earth won't the machine run? ...

nobody_home.PNG

Last edited:
Totally agree with your "secret handshake" Ron, except that a "Project" does not have to have any configured I/O !

The other option for the I/O LED to be off is shown on your pic..... "There are no devices in the I/O configuration of the controller".

It could, for instance, just be collecting production data from a number of processors and storing it to CompactFlash, or it could be the "Master" recipe data server for a number of processors. Either of those scenarios could be accomplished using explicit pathing in the message instructions, or the other processors could be doing the messaging, so no I/O configuration is needed.

But i will say it is extremely rare for this to be a possibility, so, no IO LED means "No Project" in the vast majority of cases.

There's always that "gotcha" though, there's always one, lol

imagine how confusing that is to an untrained maintenance tech
and me!... :D

I'm used to PLCs that shine something like a red ERR light when there is no program... :rolleyes:

I spent about an hour trying different things before I posted. I tried Ethernet and serial ports with the same result. If I didn't have a 'spare' machine to test, I would still be scratching my head as to why the RUN light was on... :unsure:

By the way, the I/O light was definitely illuminated green on this processor. Oh, and the BAT light is off, so I don't know why the program disappeared in the first place. Perhaps it wasn't 'gone', but just corrupted?

In any case, as soon as I downloaded the 'replacement' program, the machine fired right up!

Thanks again for the help, guys!

🍻

-Eric

Last edited:
By the way, the I/O light was definitely illuminated green on this processor.
-Eric

In that case it had a project in it, with configured I/O, and the controller was communicating with that I/O successfully.

So, I conclude we will never know the real reason why you couldn't upload it.

Sorry my English is no good...
I have the same error message, but in this case the machine is working right now ok. but I can't go online and modify the program.

attachment.php

And the error

Error: Too many online changes have been made to the controller to allow the system to correlate with the open project.

Any idea?? Thanks