Red Lion Crimson Windows 10

rdrast

Lifetime Supporting Member
Here's a first, Crimson fails on Windows 10 (it gets stuck at its splash screen), but so far, all of my Rockwell software works.

Anybody have any luck getting Crimson to run on Win 10?

Here's a first, Crimson fails on Windows 10 (it gets stuck at its splash screen), but so far, all of my Rockwell software works.

Anybody have any luck getting Crimson to run on Win 10?

Yes, it runs fine on Windows 10 on most of my machines, but not on my Surface Pro 2. It gets stuck at the splash screen, though if I wait long enough it will open. I have had some issues on that machine with it crashing during saving.

What type of it machine is it failing on for you?

I know this wont help you guys, but I would highly recommend to others to wait to go to any new Windows product until its been out a year or so. New windows OS play havoc with our automation software. Sometimes older is better (I keep telling my wife that).

I know this wont help you guys, but I would highly recommend to others to wait to go to any new Windows product until its been out a year or so. New windows OS play havoc with our automation software. Sometimes older is better (I keep telling my wife that).

I have machines running many different operating systems. I have to support customers who don't necessarily ask my opinion before doing whatever it is they decide to do. I need to at least be able to be conversant with the Operating Systems even if I don't try to run all the software packages on every OS.

I started testing Windows 10 with the preview edition using a Virtual Machine that was only used for testing software and seeing the new features of W10. I have found W10 to be a pretty good operating system once you get past the differences between it and previous OS. That said, I haven't worked on a Microsoft OS that I couldn't live with it's quirks and deficiencies. At least not since Windows ME...

Don't discourage them! Someone needs to surf the bleeding edge so the rest of us will know where to apply bandages.

;)

So far I like it... but I should of loaded it to a machine I did not really need, I loaded it to my shipping PC and it deleted all my printers, once I got them back and reloaded its running good, I loaded it on a couple laptops but have not tried all of the software yet, looks a lot like Windows 7 :)

I have not tried Crimson yet

Why? It has been out for a year. The development guidelines have been out since before that. I've been doing a lot of development on the Technical Preview for the past 18+ months. It isn't revolutionary, and is mostly based on Windows 7/8. And, as I said, it even runs Rockwell software, which is rather a miracle. Crimson is a simple, little piece of stand-alone software that shouldn't have any issues, but it gets stuck on the splash screen, and only on the Surface Pro. I freaking hate splash screens anyway, they are obnoxious, annoying, intrusive, and usually cause more problems then they are worth. Rockwell's included. Always foreground, Can't close them, Can't see the dialog box hidden by them. Idiotic vanity.

Not to mention the spyware that Microsoft built into Windows 10! Not on my PCs!!

/yawn. Turn it off. There is no "Spyware", just a bunch of fear-mongering by pundits that need to make a name for themselves. Android has the same. So do Apple products. So do all of your third party browsers if you don't go to extra lengths to install ad blockers, or set up security.

---------------

And yes, this seems to be a Surface Pro only issue, it installs on my other Windows 10 desktops... Odd..

Stupid splash screens.

Crimson 2 & 3 Splash hangs on Windows 10

I contacted Red Lion, and they tell me it works on Win 10 but not with touch capable screens (touch screens experience the hang).

Both Crimson 2 & 3 do this on my system.

I've had limited success using VirtualBox and Win 7 - but getting a reliable connection via USB is challenging.

mark

GOOD NEWS, however. I looked up how to disable the touch interface, and it WORKS!

Use the following steps to disable touch input in Windows 10:
Right-click on the Start Menu .
Select Device Manager.
Expand the section for Human Interface Devices.
Right-click HID-compliant touch screen and choose Disable.

You can turn off the touch interface, run Crimson just fine, and turn it back on when you're finished w/Crimson.

BTW - my laptop is a dell XPS15.

Good luck,

Mark

Last edited:
GOOD NEWS, however. I looked up how to disable the touch interface, and it WORKS!

Use the following steps to disable touch input in Windows 10:
Right-click on the Start Menu .
Select Device Manager.
Expand the section for Human Interface Devices.
Right-click HID-compliant touch screen and choose Disable.

You can turn off the touch interface, run Crimson just fine, and turn it back on when you're finished w/Crimson.

BTW - my laptop is a dell XPS15.

Good luck,

Mark

Thanks for the tip. I'd hate to give up on using Red Lion panels just because of something like this!

For me this was not a touch screen monitor, but a usb keyboard causing crimson to hang (either at splash screen or instantly if I plugged it in while using crimson).
Unplugging the keyboard (HP) didn't remedy it, it continued to hang if the keyboard had ever been plugged in since booting up.
I had to reboot and never use the usb keyboard, only the native one on my laptop.

I found exactly the same on my Lenovo 'Yoga 3' tablet PC. Crimson 3 worked OK, with the touch screen, on Windows 8 but after I upgraded to Windows 10 it hangs on the splash. Disabling the touch screen works but is a nuisance.