The People We Hire!

That sounds more like a training issue than a stupid issue to me.

I would agree, except this particular technician was at the factory run-off, at the acceptance run-off, and spent three weeks with the machine builder's folks training how to clear faults and operate the machine. I don't think the training stuck.

Really, at least 3 different situations today has had management asking me to put STUPID alarms on equipment. They are asking me to make some alarms redundant and display them in other areas of the plant so the more "responsible" operators can see them ,and tell a different operator, who has nothing to do with their machine that they have an issue. Simply because the train horn, the flashing orange light and the giant red text across the screen saying "you have an alarm condition" is not enough.
There's half the problem right there. If management were able to hold people accountable for doing at least the minimum of their job a lot of this stuff would go away almost overnight. In truth, I believe it's a societal issue.

Things like this may also have to do with the age old "you pay peanuts, you get monkeys". Not saying I am making heaps of money, but I might not be all that motivated either if my salary was that of an average factory production worker.

Things like this may also have to do with the age old "you pay peanuts, you get monkeys". Not saying I am making heaps of money, but I might not be all that motivated either if my salary was that of an average factory production worker.

Our operators make upwards of 50k a year. But they come in with the expectation of being in the control room their whole shift. Most of the problems I see are from lack of engagement and boredom and not my job attitude.

That picture could have easily been taken where I work. IMHO, it boils down to a lack of accountability. We are regularly asked to add "don't let me be stupid" alarms and limits. But nobody is ever asked why they did something stupid in the first place.

Bubba.

I see the real issue here..... the orange cable was for holding the pipe but they used the yellow, bad choice

I was told that my new assistant was the best of the best.
He would be doing electrical breakdowns to take some load off me.
Day 1 he called me.
'I have a machine here and there is a black square thing with four legs
The legs are marked + - and the 2 others with a squiggle.
I think it is gone - what is it?
'A rectifier'
What's that?
Is there any DC on the + - legs?
My meter doesn't do DC
All meters do DC
is it the setting with a line and dots under it
Yes
I always wondered what that was....................................

I have a lot of guys that like to wire motors seemingly by just equally dividing all of the wires up into bundles. 1 bundle, 2 bundles, it really depends on the size of the wire nut they have in their hands at the time.

is it the setting with a line and dots under it
Yes
I always wondered what that was....................................

I had a similar conversation once with someone about the "bacon button" on his car. He apparently had no idea his car had a rear defroster, and had never bothered to find out. Made driving in Philly really hard in winter....