IO link Parameter Read/Write

jholm90

I have an IO-Link setup for the first time and life is pretty good reading in a position transmitter in my Festo cylinder (https://www.festo.com/net/SupportPortal/Files/548617/SDAS-MHS_2018-06_8091016g1.pdf) This is connected to my Balluff BNI004A Ethernet/IP IO-Link master and I am getting accurate readings.

The item that I am looking for assistance with is there are "Parameters" (page 27 of the manual) that I am looking to read and write with my 5380 CompactLogix PLC. On the webpage of my Balluff master I can read and write these parameters just fine - however I would like to preform this function with my PLC.

I have the AOI from Balluff AOI_BNI004A_40_27_041 but it does not seem built into this.

Please let me know if it is possible or if I am out to lunch.. Thanks

Capture.GIF

I'm planning to use these devices in an upcoming project and have never done so before, so I'm interested in this answer !

Let's clarify: you want to read Parameter 16 (decimal), the Vendor Name ?

Or are you just reading that as a test ?

Code:
Hex	Dec	ASCII
46	70	F
65	101	e
73	115	s
74	116	t
6F	111	o
20	32	 
41	65	A
47	71	G
20	32	 
26	38	&
20	32	 
43	67	C
6F	111	o
2E	46	.
20	32	 
4B	75	K
47	71	G

There's a section of the Baluff user manual starting on Page 28 that describes using CIP Generic explicit messages to read IOLink device parameters using Service 0x32, Class 0x96, Instance (port number), Attribute 0x03, with payload data to specify the Parameter.

My reading is that you would use Instance 0,1,2,3 for Ports 1,2,3,4.

The payload data (a SINT array that you specify as the Source data) just has the Parameter number (16 decimal) in the first element.

The Destination data should be as long as the data you expect; in this case the Vendor Name text is 64 bytes long so you would probably need at least a SINT[64] type tag. The user manual's suggestion that you use a big SINT[100] array is not overkill for testing.

Thanks for the clarification and your insight Ken. It seemed to work as desired with the messaging - now I just need to tidy it up a bit. Reason why I was looking to set the parameter was purely to "teach" the fully extended position as the digital output and explore the parameter teaching should it be needed.

Capture.GIF

Cool ! Thanks for the followup.

My company has used some Baluff and IFM IO-Link masters. I'm interested in how to document the configuration of the slave devices and the master Baluff units, and about the long-term security and support of a browser-based configuration system.

Knowing that he Baluff unit supports a general-purpose IO-Link parameter read/write makes me a little more confident.