Do those outside the USA know what NEMA ratings are?

ctownj30

Trying to get a feel for whether engineers outside of N. America know what NEMA ratings are. Does your typical European, Asian, S. American, African engineer know all about these ratings, is vaguely aware, or doesn't know anything about them?

Trying to get a feel for what needs to be used (NEMA, IP, or both) when marketing PLC products outside of the US.

thanks - djm

I don't know about NEMA but every customer I worked with in Europe and Asia wanted CE rated products.

They're likely to be used to working with the IP ratings. But some of those PLCs will likely end up being shipped back to North America so it certainly wouldn't hurt to also include NEMA. Might even give you an advantage because trying to source parts with US approvals can be a hassle overseas.

European countries deal with IP ratings mostly, some know the NEMA ratings, most don't.

If you are building a control panel for overseas, please be aware of the following.

1. the voltages may not match the USA standard.
2. the frequency is most likely 50 hz.
3. when shipping a panel over seas, you have to declare everything.
4. plc processors will be a sticking point with customs unless the rules have changed recently. be careful how it's declared.

james

European countries deal with IP ratings mostly, some know the NEMA ratings, most don't.

If you are building a control panel for overseas, please be aware of the following.

1. the voltages may not match the USA standard.
2. the frequency is most likely 50 hz.
3. when shipping a panel over seas, you have to declare everything.
4. plc processors will be a sticking point with customs unless the rules have changed recently. be careful how it's declared.

james
Add to this list, RoHS regulations if going to Europe in particular. RoHS (Reduction of Hazardous Substances) regulations dictate what can and cannot be imported into the EU now and you must provide certificates of conformity (or something to that effect) from an EU authorized agency.

And just to be pedantic, NEMA doesn't really mean much here either, because NEMA is not a 3rd party testing and listing authority; manufacturers can just say whatever they want with regards to NEMA with virtually no consequences (other than "market forces"). But a decade or so ago, UL adopted all of the NEMA environmental standards as test standards. So I like to say "UL Type 12, 4, 4X etc." now instead of NEMA 12, 4, 4X. That way the schlocky overseas copycat suppliers with no regard for quality can't just "declare" that their stuff meets NEMA and get away with it.

Of course us knuckle heads know what NMEA is "National Marine Electronics Association"" haha. IP rating states exactly what level is achieved.

Here in upside down land we are vaguely aware of NEMA. It goes in the "what the...oh, yes, it's just another one of those special Americanisms" basket, along with degrees fahrenheit and the imperial system :D

Everything in Australia is based on IP rating.

Could not care less about NEMA ratings, or CE or any of that **** - IEC is the only thing I ever bother about. And of course our local explosive stuff but that is generally IEC based anyway. The only part of the world that cares about NEMA is the US - the rest of the world could not give a damn to be honest. Stupidly huge contactors - will not go on. In Oz it is common to accept an IEC standard as our own - have never seen a US standard accepted here at all. The US is very much on its own with NEMA - no one else gives a **** to be honest. IP rules.

<snip>have never seen a US standard accepted here at all. <snip>

Except the almighty Dollar, of course (y)

But, I agree, NEMA is an outdated standard, and UL has continued to expand its standards to include some of the other agencies specs in order to increase their testing income. IP ratings are more precise.

The problem with using NEMA enclosure ratings for things going overseas is that they don't cross over as directly as some would have you think. I see people claiming IP65 as being equivalent to NEMA (UL) type 4, but it is NOT the same test standards. IP65 "pressurized water" means the equivalent of a campground shower head; about 3GPM at 4-1/2PSI from a 1/4" nozzle whereas NEMA/UL type 4 is 100GPM from a 1" nozzle at 60PSI. Big difference. IP66 means higher pressure / volume, (26GPM, 14PSI, 1/2" nozzle) but is still not as much as NEMA/UL type 4. You could make the statement that NEMA/UL type 4 = IP65 or 66, but not the other way around.