Toshiba EX40 Copy Program to a new unit

Starb

Hi All

Newbie here so please excuse any tech gaffs!

I have been asked to look at copying a program from a faulty Toshiba EX40 to a new Unit as they suspect the old unit has some faulty electronics/relays, etc. They have the new unit and it is identical in every way.

The current unit is in place and is running except for one function (moving a plate) which has to be done manually and they want it all automated, hence the new unit.

Now, what's puzzling me is the current working unit has a cartridge slot on the front for an eprom module but there's nothing in it except for the empty cover that it shipped with. The new unit is exactly the same and so I presume that somewhere on-board the 'CPU board' there is another eprom and this cartridge is just a device that lets a new unit be programmed from that... that's my query, how?

They have the 'master' cartridge with the program loaded but don't know (not do I) how to get it on to the new unit. I have trawled thro the 'net and this site is the most useful and informative site I have found that reference this unit and was hoping to find some guru that knows about these units and how to copy the master program to a new unit - can anyone help/advise?

Thanks for reading and looking forward to any helpful info you may have.

TIA

Starb

p.s. note to site admins, I don't seem to be able to move the scroll bar up and down on this dialog while typing this, not sure if you knew.

Search this site for D100 as it is Cutler Hammer, a private label for the EX40. You should be able to get a link to download the EX40 manual. You will need either the software and interface or a handheld programmer. You will also need another blank EEPROM module that plugs into that hole you mentioned, similar to the "Master" module. If you don't find what you are looking for, let me know, most of what you need is right here on the site.
Try this link below for a manual, post #5. It is about 13 megs in size.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showth...ing to save. Not difficult, just unforgiving.

Last edited:
There's another way around it.
I used to do it for a company years ago that had lots of EX40's and bigger.

If it's an output blown you can change the relay.

The PLC is easy to disassemble and RS sell the relays. (think they are 12V DC)
I used to change the lot in one go.

Desolder the duff output relay and solder in the new one.
The new relays have 1 too many legs as they are N/O and N/C whereas the ones on the plc only have N/O.
I just cut the N/C leg off and good as new.

Search this site for D100 as it is Cutler Hammer, a private label for the EX40. You should be able to get a link to download the EX40 manual. You will need either the software and interface or a handheld programmer. You will also need another blank EEPROM module that plugs into that hole you mentioned, similar to the "Master" module. If you don't find what you are looking for, let me know, most of what you need is right here on the site.
Try this link below for a manual, post #5. It is about 13 megs in size.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showth...info re the hand held programmer now. Cheers

Barely remember doing the same about 20 years ago on a Toshiba EX20. You only need one prom module. Basically you put the module in "old" plc and using handheld programmer, copied to module, put the module in the "new" plc and copied back. Forget the exact details, but I remember it was easy to do and full details are here in the manual.

http://plc.gtprototype.com/toshiba_ex100/manuals/EX20_40 Plus Manual_506.pdf

you don't need a hand held programmer (I know its one way to do it), its probably easier to run the Eaton D100 programming software in DOS from an XP machine and do it that way. That said, you'd need to make an interface box with a max232 chip, I made one using the info on here, I had to do some work on a Cutler Hammer D100A (same thing as an EX40) a few weeks ago....

There are links to download the software from this site... and I had help in the past from jrwb4gbm - a very helpful member here - thanks again for that!

Andy

Hi jrwb4gbm, if the prog is stored in RAM, what would I need another eprom for? Looking for info re the hand held programmer now. Cheers
I don't think that I have answered this question before. There are things that can happen to the program in RAM. If the backup battery goes dead and power is removed from the plc for a while, the program in RAM is lost. If there is a power surge or spike, the program can become corrupted. The same can happen if the PLC gets wet for some reason such as a fire sprinkler going off and, yes, I had that happen to a customer. The backup EEPROM was also corrupted as they had stored it near the PLC.

Thanks for the kind words Andy.

Hi jrwb4gbm, if the prog is stored in RAM, what would I need another eprom for?

You don't is the simple answer, unless I'm confusing myself.

The "master cartridge" that you refer to, is surely the "prom" module, which you place in the new plc and using the handheld or software you tell it to write to the "ram" on the new plc.

Maybe jrwb4gbm has missed that you already have a module, because he certainly knows more about the subject than I do.

Last edited:
WOW! A LIVE EX40 POST!!! Yippeee!
Hello gents. I did some research a year or two back but the project went dead. Now it's rising from the dead. I'm looking at an EX40Plus with an EX20 attached. All working except one output needs be manually switched. I'm trying to fix this output.

I've got the software from various sources but it won't run on my Win 7 x64 laptop - what a surprise, and nothing i can do will make it work. I don't currently have access to anything running XP or earlier, but I know how to drive them.
Q1. Is there any software that does run on Win 7 x64 please?

I've got a USB - RS422 adapter, and have an RS232 - RS422 adapter in the mail. I have some good comms software (I'm a lifelong comms engineer).
Q2, Can I talk to the EX40Plus the hard way with it?

Obviously the kit is very old and I want to make life easier in the future. Once I get the comms working, I plan to back the program up to a ROM Module. I have yet to buy this;

Q3: Which of the EXxx ROM modules are suitable please?

The Battery is original. I have no qualms about changing it once I've got a program backup, but any tips welcome.

Once I've done all this I plan to learn to programming to enable me to change the out. Failing that a hardware repair, if possible.

All help welcome, thank you.

WOW! A LIVE EX40 POST!!! Yippeee!
Hello gents. I did some research a year or two back but the project went dead. Now it's rising from the dead. I'm looking at an EX40Plus with an EX20 attached. All working except one output needs be manually switched. I'm trying to fix this output.

I've got the software from various sources but it won't run on my Win 7 x64 laptop - what a surprise, and nothing i can do will make it work. I don't currently have access to anything running XP or earlier, but I know how to drive them.
Q1. Is there any software that does run on Win 7 x64 please?

I've got a USB - RS422 adapter, and have an RS232 - RS422 adapter in the mail. I have some good comms software (I'm a lifelong comms engineer).
Q2, Can I talk to the EX40Plus the hard way with it?

Obviously the kit is very old and I want to make life easier in the future. Once I get the comms working, I plan to back the program up to a ROM Module. I have yet to buy this;

Q3: Which of the EXxx ROM modules are suitable please?

The Battery is original. I have no qualms about changing it once I've got a program backup, but any tips welcome.

Once I've done all this I plan to learn to programming to enable me to change the out. Failing that a hardware repair, if possible.

All help welcome, thank you.
Q1. Not sure if any software available, maybe use some Win64 to Dos conversion software, then run the DOS software with that.
Q2. Forget buying an off the shelf solution, build your own adapter, info here on the website, Search for post by eagle32.
Q3. EX2040RM66, I "think" Cutler Hammer D100CPM232 but not sure on part #.
Follow the manual instructions to change the battery.

To sum up, repair the hardware with a new relay.

Hi.
OK it was the relay, new one fitted, fan working fine. Just the original problem to sort out.

I've found an old laptop with a working RS232 port, built it on Windows XP and installed and tested all the PDD programs I can find. By inserting an RS232/RS422 adapter and looping back the TX and RX data pairs I've proved the comms works using SecureCRT. I've run up Pdd 3v0 and I can see the adapter led's flashing as it runs, so all seems good so far.
Before I connected up I wanted to confirm the EX40Plus Programmer interface. Upon further inspection with a multimeter I find that pins 1 - 4 are at +5v and pins 5 - 8 are at 0v. 0 volts connectivity proved to the negative side of the Backup Battery.
No activity of any sort is visible on any of the pins.
Any ideas please?
Anyone got the pinout details for the EX40 Plus Programmer port please?