Studio 500 Structured Text TONR

papacroft

Hello I'm trying to do some structured text for a timer that will illuminate a lamp for 2 seconds, then extinguish for 2 seconds.
At the moment I'm emulating but don't seem to be able to get it reliable. Has anyone a snippet of code I could try please?

Thanks..

Last edited:
Unfortunately AB don't generate clock memories like Siemens do....this means if you want reliable clock signals you shouldn't rely on timers in a continuous task (because the task can vary in scan time dependent on CPU load and higher priority events).

If you create a periodic task with a set frequency (high priority)- you can generate from here.

Regards

Daniel

If the 2s spec is fuzzy enough that 2s +/- 41% (sqrt(2)-1) is acceptable, you could pick a bit in the free running clock that will toggle with a full cycle period somewhere between 2.8s and 5.6s, and tie your lamp to that.

It's one line of code.

For MicroLogix, the low bit (S:4/0) increments at 100us intervals, so 10,000 increments per second, so bit S:4/14 is 16384, and tying the lamp to it would have it toggle at 1.6s intervals.

If your PLC has Hour, Minutes and Seconds in a Real-Time Clock (RTC), you might be able to tie the lamp to the 1 bit of the Seconds register, which will toggle at around 2s intervals.

I am no ST expert and I am not sure how you address the RTC bits, but the implementation would be something like this:

Code:
Lamp_Output := RTC:0.SEC/1;
I just implemented that in ladder on a MicroLogix 1100 and timed the result with an Android stopwatch app: 20.3s for 10 toggles; the 0.3s is probably more my finger than the RTC.

It's all a matter of what accuracy is acceptable.

Last edited:
Code:
TONR(Light_Time);
Light_Time.TimerEnable 	:= Not Dark_Time.DN;
Light_Time.PRE 		:= 2000;

TONR(Dark_Time);
Dark_Time.TimerEnable 	:= Light_Time.DN;
Dark_Time.PRE 		:= 2000;

Lamp_Output		:= Light_Time.TT;

Here you go!

The TONR Must be declared as a FBD_Timer and not a Timer as you would use in ladder.

Last edited:
Many thanks...I had something very similar, was using FBD. My thoughts were that it was an issue with the emulator.

That said

Can I call the TONR timers and .pre out at the top of the routine and then simply enable inside the if else statement, just to make the code neater? (Ignore 10secs / that's just so I could see in emulator - I am thinking that this is the bigger problem for my setup).

TONR(stTMR_WDLampON);
stTMR_WDLampON.PRE := 10000; // Watchdog Lamp ON Time
TONR(stTMR_WDLampOFF);
stTMR_WDLampOFF.PRE := 10000; // Watchdog Lamp OFF Time

IF AB04_I.7 THEN

stTMR_WDLampON.TimerEnable := NOT stTMR_WDLampOFF.DN;

stTMR_WDLampOFF.TimerEnable := stTMR_WDLampON.DN;

stbMapAB04_O2 := stTMR_WDLampON.TT;

END_IF;

Code:
TONR(Light_Time);
Light_Time.TimerEnable 	:= Not Dark_Time.DN;
Light_Time.PRE 		:= 2000;

TONR(Dark_Time);
Dark_Time.TimerEnable 	:= Light_Time.DN;
Dark_Time.PRE 		:= 2000;

Lamp_Output		:= Light_Time.TT;

Here you go!

The TONR Must be declared as a FBD_Timer and not a Timer as you would use in ladder.

Also, a minor issue that may not matter in practice:

The content at that link:

https://trutegra.com/using-tonr-in-structured-text/

emphasizes that our TONR(...) calls should be after we set .PRE, .TimerEnable, etc., and before we check the .DN or .ACC tags.

That said, we are not doing manual .Reset's or anything, so I suspect it may either not matter, or offset the lamp behavior by at most one scan.

IF AB04_I.7 THEN

stTMR_WDLampON.TimerEnable := NOT stTMR_WDLampOFF.DN;

END_IF;

Just Use:

stTMR_WDLampON.TimerEnable := NOT stTMR_WDLampOFF.DN AND AB04_I.7;

You dont need the IF etc

Last edited:
All four methods suggested here give results good to within a millisecond of expectations, as modeled on a MicroLogix 1100 cf. here, using ladder logic.