OT – Australia 2009

FrancisL

G'Day
I am visiting Australia and possibly New Zealand at the beginning of 2009. I shall be down under for 6 weeks. All suggestions for trips and events are welcome.
I would like to make contact with process automation engineers while I am there, especially those working with S88, probably in Food, Pharma and Chemicals.

I am hoping to fund some customers for ControlDraw, or possibly do some S88 consulting or training.
Francis

Hi again

I am reviving this topic in the hope of getting some replies.
Perhaps I did not explain well, so briefly, ControlDraw is software for designing and documenting Automation systems. See www.controldraw.co.uk.

One thing I would like to do is present ControlDraw to you or your customers, even potential ones.

Topics that could be included:

Developing projects according to the ISA88.01 standard
Getting the right level of modularisation
Making recipes user definable

Ensuring End users and Systems integrators to work better together by ensuring User Requirements are completely defined and understood and carried forward into the design.

PS I do not normally use a group like this for such promotions and I don't intend to keep doing so. I think this is an excellent forum.

Thanks for your time.
Francis

FrancisL said:
G'Day
I am visiting Australia and possibly New Zealand at the beginning of 2009.

Lucky you :)... I was just telling my wife last week, someday I would love to visit either one

Can't help with any suggestions on your project but... good luck! MATE! :D

I've thought about actually moving there after my parents are deceased (can't leave them now as they need assistance). Crazy considering I've never even visited. But even if I visited for a couple of weeks I can't imagine learning whether I would enjoy living there or not. Plus at this point, I haven't done the research to know how to make the transition. I currently own/operate my own automation company, but without any international customers in Australia I don't imagine I would be able to continue that. I'd have to work for someone again (gasp!). To that end, what are the job prospects like in the metro areas (Melbourne, Sidney)? How would someone looking to immigrate get a job?

Gerry said:
...or Mad Max?

classic reply.... classic movie :)

But why are the boys (or girls) from down under reluctant to share about your land??? hmmm like you are hiding something

Hi.
Tried installing controldraw on a new XP SP2 machine. Not a good start as it crashed out.
The program tries to update a windows system file msscript.ocx which windows will not allow. (Rightly so) Not confidence inspiring.
Regards Alan Case

Alan Case said:
Hi.
The program tries to update a windows system file msscript.ocx which windows will not allow. (Rightly so) Not confidence inspiring.
Regards Alan Case

Alan
That message sometimes comes up, but usually the software then installs ok.
Maybe I should remove msscript from the Setup - but InstallShield says it should be there as do various scans. It provides the ability to runs VBS scripts for the simulations and some other functions such as tag naming.
Thousands of people over the last decade have installed ControlDraw, yes sometimes a problem comes up. (DLL hell or when Microsoft changes the rules for example). Most times people email me and it gets sorted. If it is not running then there is a diagnostic program you can run.
I will email the details if you contact me.

By the way, I spent a day in Wagga Wagga 4 years ago on the way from Sydney to Melbourne, it was Karaoke night in the Pub - I would be happy to return and meet up.
Cheers
Francis

You are correct. If I ignored the message then it installed correctly.
If you are travelling through, give me a call. 0418692035 is my mobile number.
Regards Alan Case