Micro850 Ethernet IP Connection to a third party device.

Roy24

Hi Guys,

Kinda new to the automation field, especially to Rockwell CCW and there is something that is confusing me.

I am using a Micro850 PLC and also a Linmot drive (Link to drive below) for a project. The Linmot has EthernetIP comms to it and it has instructions on how to use it with Studio5k. The problem is with the Micro850, you use CCW and it looks like you can only use EthernetIP to communicate to Rockwell approved devices.

Is there another way that I don't know off that would allow both devices to communicate via EthernetIP (Normally use EtherCAT/OMRON). Secondly, how would a micrologix 850 normally be connected to a SCADA software like Ignition or IDSnet if its stated that they communicate via EthernetIP?

Thanks in advance guys.

Micro850: (2080-LC50-24QBB)

Linmot Drive Link: http://shop.linmot.com/E/ag7000.c12...01-&-pr01/series-c1200/c1250-ip-xc-1s-000.htm

Welcome to the forum! To answer your second question, the 850 supports ModBus TCP and Ignition has a driver for this.

We use the Micro820 with modbus tcp connected to Schneider Altivar 600/900 VFD's, and the M120T/M160T modbus tcp I/O expanders.

We also communicate between several micro820's by using modbus tcp, and we have some that do this across the internet.

Open Automation has several different types of "Drivers" that can be used to interface the Micro800 series to other "Software/Hardware".

MQTT - EXCEL - SQL - ETC.

The Micro 800 series Ethernet/IP support is for explicit messaging only, not implicit IO connections. Much like the MicroLogix 1100/1400, SLC5/05 and PLC5.

CompactLogix/ControlLogix on the other hand support implicit IO connections which are used for things like IO modules, drives, Produce/Consume tags.

Generally when you see an Ethernet/IP device and some sample code, it will nearly always be for RSLogix 5000 / Studio 5000 and for a CompactLogix/ControlLogix controller.

Sometimes you can still use an explicit 'message' connection to communicate with the device though. Contact Linmot and ask if they have any examples for explicit Ethernet/IP communications, or examples for older AB PLC's using RSLogix 500.