Can't create a runtime application in FT View ME

I've just started having an issue creating a runtime application in Factory Talk View ME Studio. I tried downloading the latest V9 and still have the same issue. It says "unable to save tag database" and will not create a .mer file. I also cannot test the application. I've uninstalled V9 and re-installed it, also the same with RSLinx.

My communication path is good in both design and runtime.

I am unable to create a backup in the application manager, so I zipped the entire job file and sent to my reseller tech support. He was able to create a runtime application without issues.

I also cannot start a new project, add a button, and create a runtime...

Something is going on, but I am not sure what.

Any ideas?

Restarting the systems has occasionally alleviated this. If that doesn't work, install FTView alone on a separate machine (VM if your IT dept. provides the resources).

... or clean install.

When i saw that message I would get around it by using the Application Manager to Backup to an .apa and then restoring the .apa as a new application.

OG

I've only had this issue occasionally, and a reboot always fixes it. Doesn't help you, I know - sorry!

I wasn't even able to create a backup file in the Application Manager and try to restore. I'd get a message that the file was in use, even when FT View was closed, even checked to make sure no processes running.

I ended up on the phone with Rockwell, created a new user account on my PC with admin rights, and it worked fine.

My original account always had admin rights, I never changed it... so is something in Windoze messed up? Why would the Rockwell software think I don't have admin rights when I do?

I've had this problem a few times in the past, and the following has always worked for me:

With FTViewME closed, navigate to C:\Users\Public\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects\[Your Project Name]\Tag and delete the .CAC, .CRC, and .CTL files in the Tag folder.

Reboot the PC and you should be good to go. The tag database files will be recreated next time you open the project.

I have a ton of trouble with video card drivers interfering with pretty much every Allen Bradley PLC program that I've tried. I have a Dell Precision M6800 (Wonderful computer!) with an AMD FirePro M6100 (Terrible video card for working with PLC's).

When I had that same problem I fixed it by using System Restore and restoring to a week ago when the Dell Precision Optimizer offered to update some drivers, including (I think?) a video card driver.

That probably doesn't help much. But if you can run System Restore you might try restoring back to a known good point.

(I know this thread is two years old. I'm assuming that the original poster has already figured out a solution. I'm adding to the discussion in the hopes that the next person who has this problem might find their solution with greater ease. Trying a System Restore before jumping into a full OS wipe could save someone hours or days of work.)

Thanks!
- fEsTiDiOuS

I have a ton of trouble with video card drivers interfering with pretty much every Allen Bradley PLC program that I've tried. I have a Dell Precision M6800 (Wonderful computer!) with an AMD FirePro M6100 (Terrible video card for working with PLC's).

When I had that same problem I fixed it by using System Restore and restoring to a week ago when the Dell Precision Optimizer offered to update some drivers, including (I think?) a video card driver.

That probably doesn't help much. But if you can run System Restore you might try restoring back to a known good point.

(I know this thread is two years old. I'm assuming that the original poster has already figured out a solution. I'm adding to the discussion in the hopes that the next person who has this problem might find their solution with greater ease. Trying a System Restore before jumping into a full OS wipe could save someone hours or days of work.)

Thanks!
- fEsTiDiOuS

Welcome to the forum!

While the graphics card may have issues with some of the animations in FTVME, there isn't really any interaction between the graphics card and the tag database in the HMI software.

The error mentioned in the OP is a minor corruption of one of the files used to keep the tag information stored on the PC's hard drive. Rockwell's fix is to delete the files I mentioned in my previous comment and reboot the computer, which has worked for me multiple times in the past.

Rolling the OS back would also fix the issue, as it will bring back copies of the tag database before it was corrupted, but it's more time consuming than is necessary.

I've had this problem a few times in the past, and the following has always worked for me:

With FTViewME closed, navigate to C:\Users\Public\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects\[Your Project Name]\Tag and delete the .CAC, .CRC, and .CTL files in the Tag folder.

Reboot the PC and you should be good to go. The tag database files will be recreated next time you open the project.

Hello LoganB... I have tried this and it doesnt work..