What would you use a multiturn incremental encoder for?

jagjag1

Hi everyone.
We buy servo motors and there are 2 options of encoders.
Incremental SinCos hiperface singleturn encoders and
Incremental SinCos hiperface multiturn encoders. I understand the benefits of the multiturn absolute encoder but for what would you use the incremental multiturn encoder for?

Thank you

Multiturn encoders are commonly used on CNC machine beds for positioning, or anywhere really you need an absolute position signal greater than one revolution of the encoder shaft. Many electronic multi-turn encoders do hold their position through power cycles, but not all. Mechanical multi-turn encoders can also correctly report position, even if they have been moved with the power off.

From Dynapar

In the past, I've used them to monitor position on some 600 foot accumulators we have, but went back there to single turn encoders, and handle the count in the PLC.

The encoder type you are referring to actually has two outputs and is truly both an incremental and absolute encoder at the same time. The first output is the SIN/COS output, which will take up four wires and will produce the SIN/COS cycles at whatever the counts/revolution value indicated on the encoder. This track is often used for very high bandwidth, high resolution incremental position determination but it is only absolute within one count cycle. The position value is interpolated between SIN/COS cycles by examining the relationship of the sine and cosine tracks.

Both the single turn and multiturn variants of the encoder are also absolute encoders. It is just that the multiturn keeps track of absolute position over multiple turns. The absolute position information is transferred over Hiperface, which is one of the high speed serial links, in this case developed by Sick, I believe. The base Hiperface has been around for quite a while. Incidentally, the latest version of Hiperface, Hiperface DSL, is now fast enough that the dedicated SIN/COS channels are generally not required.

Keith