1747-PIC drivers

I just bought an SLC 500 off Ebay. Borrowed the 1747 PIC from work.
My laptop is using WinXP and RSLogix 5.2 with RSLinx 2.3 Lite. The help file tells me to load the 1747-PIC driver,located at the bottom of the driver list, but that choice is not available to me. How can I get this driver?

I rechecked my installation procedure looking to see if I missed the PIC when I installed RSLinx. There seems to be a "1747 and all subfolders" choice but clicking on that doesnt change anything.

Where on AB site? My searches all end up at PDF documents. Is there a drivers download section? The driver files found in the RSLinx folder on my computer shows several driver files in the 100K range, can I ask an individual to Email me the 1747-PIC file they have?

I see an ABPIC95.VXD file. Is it posible I need to upgrade RSLinx to a winXP version - I believe the one I have (2.3) is.

Thanks for any help you can offer. I'm an electrician trying to learn AB PLC logic.

Frank

I had a similar problem when I was using RSlinx 2.3 with Windows XP. I was trying to use the 1746-Pic / AIC + driver. For some reason this driver was not supported in XP. After speaking with an AB Tech I upgraded to RSLinx 2.41 and everything was fine. I hope this helps.

RSLinx 2.30 originally did not have a 1747-PIC driver because of the impossibility of doing direct serial port access in Windows 2000 and XP. Once RSI got a driver certified by Microsoft (it actually "swaps" with the usual serial.vxd driver for the serial port) they sent it out on request, then later included it in RSLinx 2.41.

The "lite" version of RSLinx 2.41 is available for free from Rockwell Automation's software update site.

I think that because RSLinx 2.41 has been out for so long that RSI no longer makes the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver for 2.30 available separately.

It's a bit of grief to make this work in Windows XP, but you'll find plenty of help on this Forum and on RSI's site.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help

Thank you for taking the time to help me. I am particularly grateful for the “free” download information. I may be back asking for more help because I have not had much luck finding out how to download off the Allen Bradley website.

Thanks again;
Frank

Rockwell doesn't make it very clear.... many users don't make the distinction between Allen-Bradley (a hardware company) and Rockwell Software. Many of the websites are cross-linked.

Start at the Rockwell Automation Support site:

http://support.rockwellautomation.com/

For software updates, go to the Web Updates section (for which you will have to create a username and sign in):

http://support.rockwellautomation.com/webupdates/

Most of the software on that page requires a valid license to download an update, but RSLinx Lite is free.

Ive been tinkering with a 5/02 I got on ebay as well. Now after 2 different pcs(2000 and 98), pic modules, racks, and power supplies, I still cannot get the 5/02 to be recognized. So I assume my %/02 is bad. Oh well, guess im out my 10 bucks.

Yea, I tried a win2ksp4 machine and a win98se machine. I tried 2 different pics, 2 racks, 2 power supplies. Ive programed from both of these PCs before as well. I think I may be SOL. Is it possible, that the DH485 port has been set to a different protocol? This is starting to get crossed with my topic on this, so we should probally move it there.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5595