Square D Model 50

ddavidadams

Lifetime Supporting Member
Are there any programmers out there still that have experience with the old Square D Model 50 which is, from what I can tell and I read, actually a rebranded IDEC. I have a customer with a pair of them and I would like to upload the program from them. I have acquired the necessary hardware as well as a couple of PLC for testing and as backup spares and I have gotten to the point where I can connect and download test programs. The problem comes when I attempt to upload the programs.

I don't know about yours . . .
But I have some Mitsubishi which I have to 'Stop' the processor before I can
send it a new program. (With a little switch on the PLC.)
Poet.

Huh. The last time I touched one of those was 1988. Who knew that POS would last 30 years! Wish I could help, but I must have killed those brain cells. It does sound right that you had to Stop the scanning before you could download the program. I just don’t remember how.

You’re right by the way, it was a brand labeled Idec PLC, but the firmware was altered so that you had to use Sq. D programming tools

Are there any programmers out there still that have experience with the old Square D Model 50 which is, from what I can tell and I read, actually a rebranded IDEC. I have a customer with a pair of them and I would like to upload the program from them. I have acquired the necessary hardware as well as a couple of PLC for testing and as backup spares and I have gotten to the point where I can connect and download test programs. The problem comes when I attempt to upload the programs.
I'm going to try to guess about your necessary hardware but it would be much better if you described it in exact detail as well as post some pictures.
Are you using an old computer such as one that uses Windows98 or earlier that is DOS based? Are you using the SFW50 software? Does it have a real serial RS232 port? These plc's were built back when that was usual. If so, then you may need a program called "SlowDOS" so that the computer can be "slowed down" to allow it to communicate.

I'm not at all sure that any of this will help since you said you can communicate well enough to send a program to the plc.
Please post back with more details.