Can't see PLC Tags in FactoryTalk View

MechE_87

I'm using a compact logix L27 controller and PanelView Plus 7 HMI. I'm new to PLC and HMI programming.

I have created a project with several tags in Studio 5000 for the PLC and linked to the PLC and the Offline project file (.acd) using RSLinx Enterprise but I can't view any of the Online or Offline tags. My plan is to only create tags in on the PLC side and then use and manipulate them with the HMI as needed.

I have not uploaded the program to the PLC or HMI but from my understanding this isn't necessary to view these tags in FactoryTalk View Studio ME. Am I missing something when setting up the tags in studio 5000 or linking to the PLC project?

Jonathan

Factory Talk View Studio RS Linx Enterprise.jpg Factory Talk View Studio Tags.jpg Studio 5000 tags definitions.jpg

Offline tag browsing direct from the *.ACD file is a really nice feature of FactoryTalk View, but it's also finicky as heck.

Be sure to click the 'Refresh All Folders' button in the RSLinx Enterprise Tag Browser, and click the [+] to expand the Offline folder.

Also be sure that you've Saved the *.ACD file to disk, and that the project has been Verified at least once (the little page-with-green-checkbox icon at the top menu).

And, of course, as with all software, a full reboot can't hurt.

And a preview; the Tag Browser has no 'bit picker' like RSLogix 5000 does. To select an individual bit inside a DINT/INT/SINT datatype, you have to select the parent tag and manually enter the '.xx' bit number.

I'm actually having the same issue on FTView SE 8.10 and a ControlLogix L73. I am combining two separate HMI projects into one (2 different controllers). I went through the Tag Import/Export Wizard and have all of the offline tags. The problem I am facing is that a lot of the numeric input fields reference online tags and the folder for them is empty. Using RSLinx Enterprise I have the project with the issue pointed at the right controller, with the backup .acd file pointed in the fields below.

After some troubleshooting, I figured out that I can't input a number to the field due to the tags. I just can't seem to figure out how to get the online tags to show up on the computer we are merging the projects on.

Welcome to the Forum !

I would recommend a separate thread for this topic. The original post from last year was almost certainly a Tag Browser problem, while yours seems to be a more fundamental difference between HMI and Direct Reference tags.

Direct Reference Tags always point to the Shortcut and the Tag Name. Once they've been created, it doesn't matter if they were created using the Online browse or the Offline browse or if they were typed in manually; they go through RSLinx Enterprise via the Shortcut name.

Since you're using the Import/Export wizard, you're probably creating HMI Tags, which are stored in the HMI database and processed separately from the Direct Reference tags.

So let's take a step back and look at some of those numeric inputs in detail, hopefully in a separate thread.