AB 1770-KF2 module- Half duplex configuration

ranjana

Allen Bradley 1770-KF2 and Yokogawa Model: ACM11 / Style: S2

We have 5 Allen Bradley SLC 5/04 nodes in DH+ connected to DH+ port of 1770-KF2 module.

KF2 module Address is 010 (octal).
SLC node address is 1, 11, 12, 13, and 14.

Yokogawa DCS can see SLC node 1, 11 & 12.

Dip switch settings on the KF2 is as below

1. Half Duplex settings:

Switch 8: RS232

Switch 1: Half duplex, BCC error checking, even parity, and no response.

Switch 2, 3 & 4 (address): 010 (octal)

Switch 5: 57K (DH+ baud rate)

Switch 6: 4,800 (Serial baud rate)

Switch 7: DH+

Statuses of Diagnostic LEDS present in front of the KF2 module are as below:
Power: Green (continuously on)
XMTG: Green (continuously on but blinks every 4 seconds otherwise always steady on)
RCVG: Green (continuously on)
Ready: off all the time but Blinks one time every 4 seconds and after another 4 seconds blinks 4 times continuously and stops then the cycle repeats every 4 seconds interval.
Active: Steady / continuously on and blinks every 4 seconds
CPU: off all the time but blinks every 4 seconds and remains off for another 4 seconds.

Now I connected my laptop com1 port to RS232 port of KF2 module. In Rslinx I selected
“RS232 DF1 devices”.

In the “Configure RS232 Devices” dialog box I entered the below
Com port: com1 (no other device was using COM1 port)
Device: 1770-KF2/1785-KE/Scanport
Baud rate: 4,800
Station no.: 010
Parity: Even
Error Checking: BCC
Stop bits: 1
Protocol: Half Duplex

With the above setting when I pressed auto configure I got the error message to check cable etc.

2. Full Duplex setting:

Now I changed the dip switch settings on the KF2 module to the below

Switch 8: RS232
Switch 1: Full duplex, CRC, None, Yes (response)
Switch 2, 3, and 4 (address): 010 (octal)

Switch 5: 57K DH+ baud rate

Switch 6: 9600 (serial baud rate)

Switch 7: DH+

Also I changed my settings in Rslinx DF1 configuration dialog box to reflect the Full duplex settings. (Com1 , Device: KF2 , Baud rate: 9600, Error checking: CRC, Protocol: Full duplex). Now when I pressed Auto configure. Dialog box showed Auto configure successful.
I can see from RSWHO all the nodes.

How do I see all the nodes with previous setting of half duplex protocol?

Yokogawa DCS ACM11 module supports only half duplex protocol.

Many thanks for all your Feed backs

reason for posting the above is that we are unable to see all the nodes in the Yokogawa DCS system through the KF2 module.

Also how do we see the nodes throught Half duplex protocol in Rslinx RSWHO.

I am able to see all nodes if i configure KF2 module to Fullduplex module. Can any one let me know how to see the same nodes through Half duplex protocol.

Many thanks

Ranjana, you're doing excellent troubleshooting work.

The good news is that you can see all the DH+ nodes with RSWho when you're configured for DF1 Full Duplex and using RSLinx. That tends to indicate that your DH+ network is functional and all the SLC-5/04 controllers are reachable by a proper interface.

I know the AutoConfigure button only works on Full Duplex drivers, and only when the "Diagnostic Commands" switch (SW6-4) is set ON to "Execute Received Diagnostic Commands".

I have a 1770-KF2 Series B box in my office a few miles from here, along with some PLC-5 units. I'll set it up this afternoon (yes, this is my idea of fun) just like your configuration and let you know if I can get RSLinx to browse the DH+ in half-duplex mode.

Do you know which Series of 1770-KF2 device you're using ? It might also be important if the ABB system can indicate to you what error codes it is getting; are messages just timing out or is the KF2 returning error codes ?

See if you can get a computer with two native RS-232 ports, and download TAL Technologies "TAL Breakout" utility. We may want to do some quick and dirty DF1 protocol analysis here.

Lastly, I know Rockwell Automation has an office in Dubai, UAE. If you're stuck and in a hurry their staff of engineers are expert in this sort of thing.

Last edited:
I'm a little more confused now than when I started fiddling around with the 1770-KF2 this afternoon. The RSLinx DF1 driver seems to Autoconfig properly no matter what I do... and that includes changing the DIP switch SW1 on the 1770-KF2 to Half Duplex mode. The RSLinx driver still Autoconfigures to Full Duplex mode and successfully browses the DH+ ! Hmm. I do find something new I don't know about every day.

The RSLinx fiddling about may be an unproductive sidetrack: I think maybe the problem is one of octal numbering.

DH+ addresses are in Octal, Nodes 00 through 77. Read that out loud, folks... that's "Seven Seven", not "Seventy-Seven". The second digit in an octal number represents Eights, not Tens.

So the DH+ addresses are 1, 11, 12, 13, and 14.

01 decimal = 01 octal
11 decimal = 13 octal
12 decimal = 14 octal
13 decimal = 15 octal
14 decimal = 16 octal

DF1 Half Duplex natively uses Decimal addresses. If the ABB DCS system is requesting information from DF1 Half Duplex Node Eleven, it gets the information from DH+ Node 13 (octal).

If the DCS system requests data from DF1 Half Duplex Node 14 (Fourteen).... there is no DH+ Node 16 (octal) and it will get a "DLE NAK" error message back, which is one of the things that causes the CPU LED to blink red on the 1770-KF2.

Try changing the node numbers that the ABB DCS is requesting to:

01 decimal = 01 octal
09 decimal = 11 octal
10 decimal = 12 octal
11 decimal = 13 octal
12 decimal = 14 octal

Last edited:
Follow-up; I was able to browse all the nodes on my DH+ network with the KF2 in Half-Duplex mode and RSLinx using it's DF1 Half Duplex driver (not the AB_MSTR polling driver).

RSLinx settings for AB_DF1-1 driver:

Comm Port: COM1
Device: 1770-KF2/1785-KE/Scanport
Baud Rate: 4800
Station Number (Octal): 10
Parity: Even
Stop Bits :1
Error cheking : BCC
Protocol: Half Duplex

The cable between my PC and the 1770-KF2 is an Allen-Bradley 1784-CP10 with a F25/F25 gender changer.

I was pleased to find I was incorrect about the Auto-Config: it worked even with the KF2 set for Half Duplex. I'm running RSLinx 2.31 on Windows 2000/SP2.

DIP Switch Settings for 1770-KF2, where 1=on and 0=off.
RS232C
SW-1: 10001 (Half-Duplex, BCC, Even Parity, No Embedded Responses)
Addr: 00 001 000 (DH+ Address 010 Octal)
SW-5: 11 (57 kb/s)
SW-6: 1011 (4800 baud, Execute Diagnostic Commands)
SW-7: 10 (DH+)

My big hang up was that the technote I was using was unclear: the switches that combine to set the Protocol on SW-1 are 1, 2 and 5, and switches 3 and 4 have other meanings. The User Manual is clear on this. This snafu cost me a couple of hours wondering why the KF2 wouldn't work in Half-Duplex mode.

A retraction

A correction that occurred to me too late to edit my above posts; I referred repeatedly to the querent's "ABB DCS" system, when in fact he clearly stated his system is a Yokogawa ACM11.

Sorry about the confusion; I've never had very good luck with DCS vendors' DF1 drivers, and I recently worked on an ABB "Industrial-IT" system.

A couple of times a year I get a phone call like this: "My DCS is getting errors on it's DF1 interface. I called the vendor and they say it's your fault."

Many Many Thanks to Mr.Ken Roach.
I have never got any support like this in my life.

About the KF2 module that i have here:
Series C, Revision: 07

Rslinx professional version : 2.30.01(Build 48)

Operating system: Windows 2000, 5.00.2195 , SP2

Cable pinout:

computer KF2
2--------2
3--------3
5--------7
(9pin-F) (25 pin-F)

But i could not see any node through Half-Duplex configuration. and once i click autoconfigure in Halfduplex mode i get an error message to check cable etc.

I will change the address in the DCS to reflect the decimal addressing that you have mentioned and i will let you know whether that solves the problem.

Anyway my biggest worry is that i am unable to see the nodes in RSWHO with Halfduplex mode while i could see them in Fullduplex mode with same cable.

I will try again everything from scratch again and will let you know.

Many thanks again for your kind help

Mr.Ken Roach,
I tried changing the address to 9,10,11,12 in my DCS. But DCS could still see only node no. 11, 12 of SLC.
So that means Yokogawa DCS actually looks in the octal address only.

So you have any other idea.

Many thanks

1770-KF2 Modules

ranjana;

I have 4 1770-KF2 modules setup on 2 different control systems. Sometimes I have to integrate other PCs into these systems adding more KF2 modules.

I noticed you said you were using RSLinx Professional. The reason I mention this is because when setting up a new PC for data capture I had installed RSLinx Professional and was not able to get the systems to communicate properly.

I uninstalled the professional version of RSlinx and installed RSLinx Lite (the free version found on the RSLogix install CD's).

I found I could make communications correctly.

Then I RE-installed RSLinx Professional (leaving the Lite version installed) and all communications maintained. I needed RSLinx Profrssional for the DDE link configurations that RSLinx Lite does not support.

I am not sure if there are any differences in the way the Comm Drivers operate between these two versions of RSLinx or not. I did notice that there are some Comm Drivers in RSLinx Lite that are not in RSLinx Professional and of course some Comm Drivers in RSLinx Professional that are not in RSLinx Lite.

I don't know if this will help you, but I thought I would throw it out to you since it did help with my 1770-KF2 Comm problem.

Good Luck
Danocane

RSLinx

Danocane,

As far as I know, RSLinx drivers are the same whether it is Lite, Professional, Gateway, ... It may have been that when you reinstalled you possibly had a different revision. :confused:

If you install RSLinx lite then later add activation for professional, RSLinx will start up with full dde/opc capability.

grs

I've been away from the office for a few days so I didn't have the opportunity to test further.

Tonight I set up my 1770-KF2 with just the three wires you indicated; Rx, Tx, and GND. RSLinx 2.31 had no problem working with just those three wires.

The Autoconfig button worked correctly in Half-Duplex mode only if I manually did two things: Set the Node Number to 10, and set the Protocol to Half-Duplex. If I set those two things, the Autoconfigure correctly detects the rest of the baud rate, parity, framing, error checking, and Device Type settings.

Check my DIP switch settings above against your DIP switch settings. I doubt that RSLinx 2.30.01 would work differently than 2.31.00, but it's possible. I will try the same test with 2.30.01 when I get the chance.

If you have the opportunity to capture some RS-232 serial data that might help find out what the DCS system is requesting from the 1770-KF2 and it is not replying to correctly (that's when the CPU light blinks red).

Again, if you need professional help and not just bulletin board speculation, give the RA office in Dubai a call.