Laser Coder and PLC Integration Advice Needed...

JoseM

Hi Gentlemen,

I want to interface a Domino Laser Coder with an SLC 5/04 PLC. I was reading and the coder has RS232, Ethernet, and USB communication capabilities.

I've never done any kind of communication integration but I can't wait to try for the first time of course with the help of PLCTALK members savy advice.

Can you guys advice me along the way so I can accomplish this task. I'm interested to know the status of the coder on the PLC so I can trigger equipment stop conditions and alarm messages.

I strongly suggest to keep the the original product detection (trigger) sensor and rotary encoder, if applicable.
In such case, the minimum required handshaking is a proper safety interlock for the laser and probably a ready signal from the printer to the PLC. Both are discrete signals and have nothing with networking.
What do you want to do via mentioned communication(s)?

Thank you Sergei. The ready signal is what I really want to relate to the PLC, so if the coder goes down the machine which delivers the product to the coder will stop immediately.

If the signal is discrete is even easier to do. I was thinking that It needed to be done over one of the communication protocols the coder contains.

Forgot to mention. Some recent models do not have autorecovery after safety interlock.
In such case, you may need also a "reset" signal to the printer.