Step 7 question: How to compile library?

bobby1234

Hello everyone,

I had a question regarding Step 7 Professional 2004. I have written a lot of in SCL in SCL source files inside a Step 7 project and I wanted to know how to compile those functions into a library to protect the intellectual property. I could not find any manuals on the siemens website for doing that. Can somebody tell me how to do this or point me to a website which answers this question?

Any help will be really appreciated.

Thanking you all,

bobby1234

You can apply KNOW_HOW_PROTECT as block attribute.Block attributes can be placed after the BLOCK IDENTIFIER and before the declaration of the first variable.
Like this

Code:
FUNCTION_BLOCK Motor
KNOW_HOW_PROTECT;   
VAR

Hope this helps,
Lesa

After compiling you have to remove SCL source files from library to get the know_how_protect working.
However be aware that this is very weak protection - someone must have been a complete id..t if he can't remove it.
Good point is (if you have written the code in SCL) that after removal of the protection the code is in STL and is very hard to follow.

know how protection add

There is a software called s7sprot that put the know_how_protection in all the block of your project, you can use.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter anyway - the protect is easy to get round - I am using Simatic Logon now to add a bit more security to my projects .

If you are dealing with people who will steal your property , the only way around it is to keep your software to yourself .

You are not helping him !! you are giving him a lock that can be opened by looking at it - to have any chance of protection your IP , I can only suggest you try Simatic LOGON - but then the memory card can also be cracked - but at least there won't be any symbols.

block lock

10 baseT you are right,but there is not possibilities to lock the blocks without possibility someone unlock it

The only thing you can do is to strip all symbols and DB comments out of the project - if you do this , it would take a good guy to retrieve enough info out of it for it to be worthwhile - short of gluing the MMC in the processor , there is not much else you can do .