Devicenet pin differance, 5 vrs 4?

produktion

I am a little new to Devicenet and I have to get a robot station up and running. The current Devicenet cables in the station are all 4 pin. The I/O block I have to hook up is a 5 pin.

So, my plan is to cut the end off the 5 pin cable and hardwire it to the connector on the Devicenet card in the robot panel. The rest of the Devicenet devices are not necessary at this time, so I will not wire them back into the bus.

my question comes down to... what is the differance between the 5 pin and 4 pin devicenet cables? I am aware that the 5 pin is...

CAN_H = white
CAN_L = blue
bare = drain
V- = black
V+ = red

How does the 4 pin match up to this... not drain/shield?

Thanks

Thanks.

It is a Devicenet cable/connection for sure. The devices that are currently connected to it are a valve and a pressure switch I think. Which neither are needed for this temporary setup.

So, I guess my next step is to cut the end of the 5 wire cable I have and hard wire it to the plug that plugs into the Devicenet card that in turn plugs into the robot controller.

Hopefully all goes good.

Another question...

By 'flat' are they talking the physical shape of the cable? Because the four pin I have here is not flat in shape.

Oh that flat cable stuff. Works great for Malibu lights in the front yard, but on machines I have seen customers love & hate it. More in the Hate catagory.

Check with TURCK and they might be able to whip you up drop cables that would go from the 5 pin to a 4 pin drop solution.

Some of the robot controllers I have worked with have had not-perfect implementations of their DeviceNet scanner specs. I would pursue the ODVA approval on the products that you use.

Thanks,
Joe_WaZoo

Joe_WaZoo said:
Oh that flat cable stuff. Works great for Malibu lights in the front yard, but on machines I have seen customers love & hate it. More in the Hate catagory.

Check with TURCK and they might be able to whip you up drop cables that would go from the 5 pin to a 4 pin drop solution.

Some of the robot controllers I have worked with have had not-perfect implementations of their DeviceNet scanner specs. I would pursue the ODVA approval on the products that you use.

Thanks,
Joe_WaZoo

It is a TURCK I/O module that I am hooking up. It is a 5 pin. I will have to see if I have time to get a converter kind of thing. Dont think I have the time though. This is a sample setup that needs to be done RIGHT NOW. So, a temporary hardwire directly to the card's plug should work... I think.

Hopefully you have read the ABB stuff on their devicenet. On the robot controller do not hook up the network power (the black & red conductors). If you do the robot will backfeed your devicenet network power supply, since the robor supplies it's own 24VDC (which is OK provided the robot is the master node and you have limited power requirements). If you are hooking into an existing control panel that has it's own devicenet power supply and other support equipment you will want to leave off the black and red conductors.

Also, if it is part of an existing network make sure that you remove the resisitor in the robot cabinet if you allready have network termination at other locations. ABB has a habit of installing terminating resistors on the devicenet module in the robot controller and tech support may insist that you have to have those there, even though it may not match with your intended network layout.

Darren

I once added a DeviceNet node to an existing network with a KUKA controller at an automotive plant. It fried their DeviceNet scanner card and I was told by the Kuka tech on site that you should never add nodes to an operating DeviceNet network on the fly. Funny, I did that about 7 times this week while showing customers how to use DeviceNet with AB scanner cards and it worked fine everytime.

Good point on the ABB stuff, I did not know that.

Thanks,
Joe_WaZoo

This is a Fanuc robot that I am using. The robot is actually on load from the customer. And we are just showing what this setup can do... supposed to be showing.

The current devicenet network that is there starts at the card in the robot panel, then goes to a t that connects to a valve. From the other branch of the t, it goes to a Medar weld controller. The valve and the weld controller are not going to be used at all. So, I dont care if they are not on the bus... I prefer it that way actually.

When this setup goes into the plant.. it will all be wired correctly, with the 5 pin Devicenet cable/connector. Just at the moment, the 'station' they sent to test is the 4 pin. So, I have to ignore the devicenet cables/connections that are there and rewire the devicenet's card's plug (in the robot panel) for the 5 pin output Turck block.

Does that all make sense? Really just a temp fix to make what I have on hand work.

I shouldnt need any converter 4 to 5 pin plugs, etc when the real deal is put in place.

No other power supplies, etc... just the I/O block and the robot panel. The robot panel was already set up to run devicenet, so I am essentially just taking out the weld controller and the valve and putting in simple analog and digital I/O instead.

Thanks a lot for the help guys!

Joe_WaZoo said:
What is the part number of the exact TURCK station that you are working with?

Thanks,
Joe_WaZoo

I am not at the station now... but the gateway is a BL67, I think. And it has two digital iput modules and two two analog inputs installed.

I got the gateway talking to the robot controller over Devicenet, I think. But from the robot controller, I now need to setup the input modules.

With the BL67 & BL20 products there is a free software program called IO_Assistant that will allow you to configure the nodes and check to see whether that is a valid config.

But more importantly IO_Assistant will tell you the DeviceNet mapping for your such node. Click on the link below, download the program, and install it. Build your exact node config in that program. Then go to the pull-down menu Station and the Report DeviceNet Mapping. It will tell you where the data from that node will show up with in your DeviceNet scanner's mapping.

http://www.turck-usa.com/assets/IO_Assistant_Software.zip

Joe_WaZoo