Help with RWView transfer utility error

Interesting

Thanks for that, Paul
I did not realize that RSView installed RSLinx Enterprise.
I will try to re-install RSView on Monday.

My facility will be shutting down soon, so it will really be SEP (someone else's problem), I just was trying to get it changed now. Good to know.

I'll post back if it works.

Thanks to all for the effort!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I wanted to chime in to reiterate:

RSLinx Classic is the communication software suite that is used natively by RSLogix and PanelBuilder32 and DriveTools and other A-B software products. It can also be used as an OPC data server by RSView32, RSView/FTView SE&ME and as a DDE data server by clients like Excel.

RSLinx Classic has been around forever; it had a WinLinx predecessor for Windows 3.1, and it still supports software calls that were written for the DOS-based INTERCHANGE software in the 1980's.

RSLinx Enterprise has a limited role: it is the data server for FactoryTalk View SE and ME, and it is used as the transport mechanism for FTView ME *.MER projects.

A typical day for a ControlLogix and PanelView Plus user includes configuring and using RSLinx Classic to upload/download and go online with his or her ControlLogix controllers and networks, and then configuring and using RSLinx Enterprise specifically to upload/download and test the PanelView Plus projects and applications.

RSLinx Enterprise is included in the price of and included in the installation of FactoryTalk View ME. You can manually skip the installation of RSLinx Enterprise, but by default it will be installed along with FactoryTalk View Studio. The embedded version of RSLinx Enterprise that runs inside the PanelView Plus terminal is built-in at the factory and does not require installation or activation.

Taking a step back to the PV+600 and the process of uploading and editing a project:

PanelBuilder32 and the Standard PanelView products supported this kind of process; you could easily upload a *.PVA PanelView application file and convert it to a *.PBA PanelBuilder Application File. In fact, to prevent this you had to perform a registry edit that would cause PVA's to omit the uploadable data.

RSView Studio did not include this feature in v3.x or 4.x. In Version 5, aka FactoryTalk View, this feature was added and given a little more explicit functionality: you can make a *.MER runtime file convertible into a Project file, or you can disable that functionality.

The feature isn't retroactive; the project has to have been created in version 5.0 or 5.1 in the first place.

There are some manual ways to recover much of a project from a runtime file, but these are messy.

The best practice, of course, is to store an application archive (*.APA) near the PanelView Plus terminal. I load mine onto removable CompactFlash and put them in a non-RA folder.

thumbs up for Rob and OkiePC

Last post from me on the topic:

Sometime last year our IT department pushed a patch or utility that automatically disables the wireless connection when a wired Ethernet link is established. 90% of RA field people run Dell Latitude D610 or D630 notebooks.

I know for sure that these Dells could simultaneously support both wired and wireless connections... the chipsets and adapters are very clearly shown in the hardware configuration of the PC. But it was easy to accidentally get your subnets crossed up and accidentally link to default WiFi access points, so I think it's sensible for the majority of users.

For me, the benefit was that I wouldn't inadvertently leave my WiFi radio on while connected to hardwired Ethernet and drain my battery faster.

I do run PCMCIA Ethernet adapters in promiscuous capture mode when I am doing network analysis and whatever tool they installed doesn't interfere with those.

Thanks for the explaination, Ken. I really struggle with the RA stuff sometimes, as I have many different brands of PLCs and devices (and resulting software) to deal with.

Regarding the wire/wireless issue, I also use a Dell Latitude, but I don't recall having the wire/wireless problem before. In fact, I was just online to a Banner camera days before (thru ethernet), and had no trouble with the wireless network while I was connected to the Banner.

Also, when I go to re-install RSView, I assume that I need to move the activation back to the disk before un-installing RSView?

Thanks again for the help.

:unsure:

If you are still using a diskette-based activation (EVRSI), there is a small risk of damage to the activation file if you perform install/uninstall of software with the activation installed on your hard drive. I've never had it happen to me in 15 years of using RSI products, but I've heard of other occurrences.

All that is really necessary is to shut down all RA software that uses the diskette-based activation before you perform uninstall/reinstall, and the modern installers generally check to make sure there are no running programs that will conflict with the installer.

If it were up to me, I would install FactoryTalk View Studio ME version 5.10. instead of any previous version. It will support all previous PV+ firmware revisions, as well as current features.