hvac system wifi network

dwoodlock

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just wanted to check and see if anyone has dealt with any of this. I'm looking at retrofitting some of our older 20ton units to a newer thermostat with remote access.

These units are all Trane of various generations, about 20 in total. Our newest hall has the Trane "Tracer SC" network control system, and our experiences with it have made it obvious that its not what we want going forward.

Just figured someone here may have done some of this before.

Thanks

Just to share my experience trying to playing BMS engineer one time.

Even though I'm more familiar with PLC, it's more work than it's worth trying use PLC for HVAC. VAV (variable air volume) controller are lot cheaper and got all the necessary sensor build-in already. Lonwork and BACnet are the two protocol these system uses and you can always use a protocol gateway to connect to a PLC system for supervisory control.

At the time I was looking, Alerton seems to have the type of products I was looking for but I have no first hand experience with them.

I appreciate your advice.

I am definitely not trying to roll my own control system with a PLC. I Just thought perhaps someone here had been involved in a project where they implemented some sort of wifi thermostat network or something.

The stuff I'm looking at is just roof units pushing air down into the plant, luckily no ductwork or flow control involved.