FactoryTalk View ME v10 and old v5.1 32 bit Archive Files

ControlSysNick

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm wondering if anyone here is running FactoryTalk View ME version 10 and has tried importing old 32 bit HMI project archive files, say going back to version 5.1?

I have some old PanelViews I have to modify the programs on and don't have a working 32 bit Windows laptop to export and then convert the database to a 64 bit version. Apparently, with version 10, you don't need to use a 32 bit version of the software in the first step of this conversion as the 64 bit version 10 can do the conversion itself.

I'd appreciate some feedback from someone who may have done this - did it work and were you then able to modify the file and create an updated 5.1 run-time for the older PanelView?

Nick

Funny you mentioned that. I was just thinking earlier that I haven't had to update any 32-bit databases in a while. I just imported an old APA yesterday so I can confirm it works.
I've always wondered why Rockwell didn't add that feature in the first place.

The thing you need to watch for is when you make the new runtime targeting 5.1, you cannot select the option "allow conversion". I believe it's the same when you target 6.0.

Thanks! I'll go ahead and install it. Not having to resurrect an old 32 bit Windows machine to convert the older .APA files is a real bonus. That was a real aggravation to me every time I had to do it.

Worked great for me when I converted a 5.1 project about a month ago. A much appreciated update for sure.

v10 can convert 32bit apa or 32bit mer file without the need of a 32 bit machine

However, the v5/v5.1/v6 mer file that it produce will not be able to convert back to apa file.

I went ahead and deleted my FT View ME 8.1 installation and replaced it with the 10.00.01 version.

Then I restored the 32 bit version of the 5.1 .APA file that I need to work with and it worked just as it should!

What a nice change from having to dig up a 32 bit windows machine as part of a process to convert the .APA archive to one that could be worked on in a 64 bit environment. Rockwell should have done this years ago!!!

Happy that it just works now!!!

Thanks for your input guys!

:p

Nick