Studio 5000 upload issue

Willlly

I need a little guidance...the revision on my Allen Bradley 1769-L33ER compact logix is 21.11. I have downloaded v20,v21. but when I upload it still says "logix controller created in an earlier version". It tells me to upload, then must download to get online with the PLC. I have attached a picture of the problem it gives me. How/why is it saying this when I have version 21 downloaded in the software?

5000upload.PNG

JohnCalderwood said:
Only thing I could see were versions 21.00 and 21.03 in the download section of Studio5000.....
Did you install both of these?

Hi John,

You cannot install both those minor versions on the same system at the same time.

JohnCalderwood said:
...If the controller is V21.011, then yes you will need V21.00...

Our friend may require that version here in this case, but in general, that is not true to say. The controller firmware is not tied to an exact release of v21 Logix Designer software. Both these versions of software will work with a firmware revision 21.011 controller.

JohnCalderwood said:
...so uninstall V21.03 and then install V21.00, reinstall V21.03....

If they uninstall v21.03 and then install v21.00, they will not be able to "reinstall v21.03" without first uninstalling v21.00. Again, having both minor versions installed at once is not possible on the same system.

------

Willlly said:
I need a little guidance...the revision on my Allen Bradley 1769-L33ER compact logix is 21.11. I have downloaded v20,v21. but when I upload it still says "logix controller created in an earlier version". It tells me to upload, then must download to get online with the PLC. I have attached a picture of the problem it gives me. How/why is it saying this when I have version 21 downloaded in the software?

There were only 2 versions of Logix Designer released at major version 21 -

v21.00.04
v21.03.02

There was only 1 revision 21 firmware release for compatible controllers -

r21.011

The project last downloaded to the L33ER (firmware 21.011) was most likely at Logix Designer v21.00.04 - or v21.00 for short.

The version you installed was Logix Designer v21.03.02 - or v21.03 for short.

Normally, any project downloaded to a controller at a major version would be compatible with any other version of the software at the same major version. So normally you would expect that v21.03 software could freely upload a previous v21.00 software downloaded project. But v21.03 is special -

v21.03 is a "Product Resiliency" release which will only directly work with v21.03 created project files and none other. It will not work directly with v21.00 created project files. What the message is telling you is that in order to upload and work with the current v21.00 project in the online controller, you must first allow the software to upload and convert it to a v21.03 project. To now go online with this v21.03 project to the same controller, you must first download the converted project into the controller, overwriting the v21.00 project with the new v21.03 project. Then v21.03 software will go online to the controller.

If you did upload and convert the project using v21.03, and then downloaded the v21.03 project to the controller, then no other user with v21.00 software would again be able to go online to the controller or even upload a copy of the project. They would need v21.03 installed, which could mean having to uninstall v21.00. If they/you still require v21.00 for other project work then one would be in a bit of a pickle as you cannot have both installed at the one time on the same system.

I cannot say if the v21.03 option is best or not for your needs here. But to err on the "safer" side, and avoid the "Product Resiliency" limitation; yes, you would be better to uninstall v21.03 and install v21.00 instead. v21.00 should allow you to upload without such warning and save the project as v21.00.

If v21.03 is not what you need, and even if it were possible at all to install both versions of software simultaneously, I would not be advising you to do so after getting v21.00 installed.

Another option here, if it were suitable (depending on who owns the controller - you, your company or a customer), is to flash upgrade the controller to a higher revision firmware, thus avoiding the v21.03 Product Resiliency maze altogether. An L33ER can be flash upgraded to the latest r31.011, which would require Logix Designer v31 software. But such leaps can require careful consideration too.

Regards,
George

V21.03 should be avoided like the plague.

There was a lot of bugs introduced with this version when Rockwell tried to fix some security issues.

I could call it a lot of things, but I don't know if I'd call the Product Resiliency feature a "bug"? A bug suggests something that causes unintended consequences within the product itself. While this release did create wider unintended consequences for customers; still, it was an intended feature which, for the main part, performed that feature as intended.

In my experiences with it, and aside from the Product Resiliency feature, v21.03, as a standalone programming software product, functioned as well or as poorly as most other releases.

G.