run Step 7 without TIA Portal

dmned64

I have TIA Portal v13 with Step 7, WinCC, etc. The projects I have supported have all always been done with TIA Portal.

I have a client that has two different programs for one PLC. One is in the TIA Portal format and the other is in Step 7. The story behind the two programs is long but, in brief, a device (a drive, I think) in the system is not compatible with TIA Portal so when they need to use that drive they download the Step 7 version. They switch back to the TIA Portal version when they do not need to use that drive.

I have both versions of the program and, as I wrote, TIA Portal v13. Obviously I can open the TIA Portal version without any issue. Is there a way to run Step 7 without TIA Portal so I can open the Step 7 version of the program? I have a license for Step 7 but is it only usable under the TIA Portal "umbrella"?

Step 7

Hi dmned64,

If the project is configured with STEP 7 usually that means STEP 7 "Clasic". You would need to have a "Combo" license or adquire STEP 7 5.5 or STEP 7 2010 Professional. The STEP 7 2010 Professional is just STEP 7 5.5 plus several other pacakages.

It is quite strange that you can't use a drive with a v13. May be you can't config the drive in TIA (if it is a MASTERDRIVE or a MICROMASTE), but usually you could use it as a slave (importing the GSD file).

Best regards,
Kelkoon

I don't know all the details but i am told the it is an old drive and is not supported in TIA Portal. Also, the switching between the two versions is really a hardware download from TIA Portal to run in one mode (without need for the drive) and a hardware download from STEP 7 Classic to run in the other mode (with the drive).

I found an executable file which runs SIMATIC Manager. When that starts a splash screen appears that seems to indicate I am running STEP 7 v5.5. I can open the STEP 7 version of the program but I cannot seem to do much with it. I receive a message "An internal OLE error has occurred" when I try to open blocks.

In Application License Manager I note my license for STEP 7 Professional v13. Are you suggesting I need an additional license or a "combo" license to run? If I download STEP 7 5.5 I wonder if it will run.

Hi dmned64,

If the project is configured with STEP 7 usually that means STEP 7 "Clasic". You would need to have a "Combo" license or adquire STEP 7 5.5 or STEP 7 2010 Professional. The STEP 7 2010 Professional is just STEP 7 5.5 plus several other pacakages.

It is quite strange that you can't use a drive with a v13. May be you can't config the drive in TIA (if it is a MASTERDRIVE or a MICROMASTE), but usually you could use it as a slave (importing the GSD file).

Best regards,
Kelkoon

Step 7

Hi dmned64,

Probably you can't configure it in TIA, but I have yet to find a GSD that you can't load into TIA.

yes, You'll need one of those licenses. As far as I know you can't download STEP 7 5.5 from Siemens.

Best regards,
Kelkoon

I agree with Kelkoon that there should be nothing hindering STEP7 v13 to include an old drive and go online with the PLC (not the drive). You just need to import the GSD for the Profibus or Profinet configuration.
Maybe it is not possible to monitor the drive directly from inside TIA, but then you can just have a parallel installation of DriveMonitor or STARTER.

Regarding the license, it is possible to have regular licenses for for STEP7 v5 and STEP7 v13.
But there exists also a "combo" license for STEP7 that covers both v5 and v13. People who originally upgraded from STEP7 v5 typically got this combo license (so that they could run their old v5 until they got comfortable with TIA). Not sure if you get the combo license today when upgrading.