RS Logix 500 versus RS Logix 5000

Saturn_Europa

How different is programming in RS logix 500. I'm a maintenance tech and am completely spoiled, I learned programming on Control Logix.

I am going to a regional pump station tomorrow to add a few simple rungs of code to count the number of pumps running.

Are there any pit falls I need to worry about? The logic I am installing is very simple. But I have very limited experience on the SLC-50's.

TYIA

I don't know how familiar with the slc 500's, so I will start at the basics.

1. you will need the slc 500 programming software and interface cable for your processor (5/01 & 5/02, 5/03. 5/04, 5/05)
2. the logix 5000 is tag based software while the slc500 software is data file
based with words and bits.
3. if you can program the logix 5000, there will be a learning curve for the 500.
if you have the software, I would familiarize yourself with it, especially connecting to the unit.

then study the programming methods and see if you can create the logic you want.

Warning !! the slc 500 can only count up to 32767, so be sure and have an automatic reset when the counter gets to 37,500 or else the processor will fault out due to a math over flow.

james

The addressing will be the biggest thing that you will notice is different. RS5K used a more database type file structure, while 500 uses predefined data tables. That means you can't just create a new tag and define its purpose, you will need to use available memory locations within the existing program. It's not hard to figure out, but I does require a different mindset.

Bubba.

FYI,
37500?

Counters will just rollover to -32767 and continue counting back to zero. (and so on and so on). An add instruction would be a problem though.

add a few simple rungs of code to count the number of pumps running

If the OP's pump station has more then 32767 pumps I would think a SLC500 would not be the proper device for this application.IMHO;)

Last edited:
Mickey,

I always reset at that number, you could use 32765, I try to keep away from 32767.

on older processors, I have seen the processor fault du to a math overflow / underflow. Since that time, I always prepare for it. Since I don't know what he has, better to be safe than sorry.

james

if the processor is an SLC-5/01 ... or SLC-5/02 ... or SLC-5/03 ... then the RJ45 connector on the front is NOT (repeat NOT) an Ethernet connection ... it's Data Highway 485 - and it can blow up your computer's Ethernet port if you connect to it ...

only the SLC-5/05 processor has a real Ethernet port ...

Last edited:
if the processor is an SLC-5/01 ... or SLC-5/02 ... or SLC-5/03 ... then the RJ45 connector on the front is NOT (repeat NOT) an Ethernet connection ... it's Data Highway 485 - and it can blow up your computer's Ethernet port if you connect to it ...

Also if I remember right, to connect to the 5/01, you need a straight through patch cable, a crossover cable won't work.

HAHA, this one got me, indirectly I suppose.
I was away from the plant, got a call about a faulted SLC somethigXX40C shoebox processor. I was on my way and one of the tech decided to go plug my laptop in to try and fix it before I got there.
Well, he plugged a 1203-USB, for powerflex drives, into the RJ-45 on the PLC.
Now I had to buy a new 1203-USB,,,, like $400.. He didn't even know he blew it but just said that for the life of him he just couldn't get the PLC to talk to the computer... No doubt.

It takes time to get "un-used" to all the aspects of RSLogix 5000, but it's pretty much the same. The most confusing part is the fact that you don't have good tag labeling and most programs will not have any comments whatsoever. You'll be just fine if you know 5000.

Tag Data

To tack on to the previous reply. If you can get a copy of the existing program with tag data DO IT. Unlike newer 5000 programs the comments are not stored in the program. You have to import them or have the program with them already in it and go online. This will save a lot of headaches.