Omron Against Siemens

maqbool_sid

Hello Everybody,
Please tell me which CPU ( OMRON CQM1 or CPM1A ) should I use to replace Siemens S7 CPU 224.

Why CQM1 is not presented on OMRON WEBSITE, as i found CQM1H.
Thanks in Advance.

maqbool_sid said:
Hello Everybody,
Please tell me which CPU ( OMRON CQM1 or CPM1A ) should I use to replace Siemens S7 CPU 224.

Thanks in Advance.

You shouldn't replace a Siemens with an Omron at all!

:p

maqbool_sid said:
It all depends on what you need.
  1. If a pulse output is needed then you definitely need a CQM1H, because the CPM1A doesn't have this functionality.
  2. The S7-224 has 8k byte program memory and 5k byte data memory. CPM1A has only 2k word program memory and 1k word data memory. This is another reason why you would need a CQM1(H).
  3. If using a CQM1H you'll need at least a CPU41, because the others have only 3.2k words program memory.
maqbool_sid said:
That's probably because the CQM1 is obsolete. The CQM1H is newer and better and completely replaces the CQM1.
Doug_Adam said:
You shouldn't replace a Siemens with an Omron at all!
Quite right! First of all, there's the space issue. A CQM1(H) is a lot bigger than an S7-224. Then you'll have to translate the entire project from S7-2XX to Omron speak. This means you'll need two programming packages and the knowledge of both programs and both instruction sets.
There's no way of doing that automatically. So you'll end up doing a lot of work and spending a lot of money for what reason?

Kind regards,

jvdcande said:
If a pulse output is needed then you definitely need a CQM1H, because the CPM1A doesn't have this functionality.

I think it has one 2KHz pulse output available, and certainly a couple of high-speed counters.

Pp

Hello maqbool_sid,
If you must use Omron to replace the Siemens, I'd suggest taking a look at the new CP1H.
Same size as a CPM, but is based on the CS/CJ series architecture (same instruction set, can use CJ series special IO, 20k program steps etc).
Got a built in USB port as well! :D