PLC features wish list

I'd like to see the day of the week represented as a number. While the processor may know the date and time, the A-B's (with which I'm familiar) do not know if it is Monday, Tuesday, etc. And yes, I do have logic running to solve this problem, it just seems it would be sooooo simple for the processor to produce this useful bit of info.

Bill
This is known as the Zeller's congruence...it even does leap years

DayOfWeek = mod(day + rounddown((month+1)*26/10,1) + K + rounddown(K/4,1) + roundown(J/4,1) + 5*J -x , 7)

K = mod(year,100)
J = rounddown(year/100,1)
x is the start day
= 0 {Sat = 0}
= 1 {Sun = 0}
= 2 {Mon = 0}
etc

Last edited:
How about a PLC that is pre-loaded with a traffic light program?

On the serious side:
Removable/upgradeable memory.
Not just Ethernet, but the ability for multiple addresses.

In the distant future ... I wish that there is a common object-oriented programming package that integrates al and everything seamlessly into each other. Logic code + data + alarms + hmi object + multilanguage user texts + multilanguage comments etc. A program change in an parent object shall make all derived objects update automatically throughout the project.
Would be nice if this was an open standard too. So that you could freely choose the PLC hardware vendor.
JesperMP, that is setting the bar quite high.

This is known as the Zeller's congruence...it even does leap years

DayOfWeek = mod(day + rounddown((month+1)*26/10,1) + K + rounddown(K/4,1) + roundown(J/4,1) + 5*J -x , 7)

K = mod(year,100)
J = rounddown(year/100,1)
x is the start day
= 0 {Sat = 0}
= 1 {Sun = 0}
= 2 {Mon = 0}
etc

Wish I'd known that about 18 years ago, Bill!

With the faster digital telemetry I have now, I've pretty much gone to resolving day-of-week only at the Plant and having the field sites retrieve that info via radio periodically. But that is a nice clean way to compute D-O-W. Sure seems like it would be easy to embed in the PLC code somewhere.

Thanks,

Bill

How about, when I open the controller tag browser in Logix5000, pressing the letter 'N" will go to the first tag that begins with an 'N'

Ho Ho Ho

How about a standard Multimedia card that holds the plc program and any and all documentation as well as being able to load it directly from you multimedia slot on your PC. I think this is probably better than USB. Just my opinion?

To expand on PP's response, all the latest Omron PLCs have USB ports (CP1L, CP1H, CJ2) - the older ones do not - they are also standard USB slave plugs - no special cables required. You just have to point Windows at the driver in the Omron CX-Server sub-directory and you are online. There is also an 'auto online' feature if you do not know the communications settings. Selection of USB, serial or Ethernet. Just click and CX-Programmer goes and finds the PLC. Waited a long time for that one also. That certainly would have been on my wish list until they did it.

Comments and descriptors have been able to be stored in Omron PLCs for years, CS1, CJ1, CJ2, CP1L, CP1H, AND they all have the exact same instruction set including 64 bit floating point maths - 32 bit floating point loses resolution when the numbers get large.

I do not normally use Ethernet even for programmiung - unless I have a large number of PLCs on a network - I use USB or a Bluetooth serial port plugged into the processor serial port - it typical serial - a bit slow even at 155k - but I can get out of the way and do not have people falling all over my cables. No one has a clue what you are up to when you are 50 metres away and out of site - WONDERFUL!

I am now looking for a USB slave to 9 pin RS232 that I can use with the new USB ports for my Bluetooth serial ports.

By the way, Omron have made the networking software very easy to use. Just open the networking software (CX-Integrator) from within the programming software (CX-Programmer) by opening 'special application' from the networking card with 'inherited settings' and the software just checks out the network and uploads ALL information from ALL devices on the network. I cannot remember how long I have waited for that from PLC manufacturers.

You can do this with all network/remote I/O type cards in the PLC - WONDERFUL! That would have been very high on my wish list also but now it is here.

Added note - the USB implementation is only 1.1 but does not matter as the amount of information being transferred when monitoring is very small. USB 1.1 is sufficient and is, in fact, extremly fast - faster than Ethernet at 100meg. Machine code is small and fast and the horsepower used up in your laptop is to support the GPI (graphical programming interface).

Last edited:
Hello all,
I found that Vipa now has an Ethernet port on their Speed 7 processors that you can scan the network, (wireless or hardwired),with step 7. Step 7 finds the mac address and asks for an ip address with a subnet mask or you can allow your DHCP server to give it an address automatically. then Boom your online in less than 1 minute. this is much better than setting up serial ports, making sure that you have the correct serial port selected, and having to verify if it is being used or not by the computer and then point the programming software to that serial port. Their memory card is also a standard multimedia card and allows you to store anything you want on it. CCCOOOOOLLLLLLLL !!!!!!

(y)

Last edited:
On top of my wish list is that all PLC companies fix their programming and networking software and make it affordable (AB, Siemens, Schneider in particular).

Vista has been around for it seems like ever now and many manufacturers are just getting around to making the software Vista compatable. Why?? Others have been Vista compatable for 12-18 months or more. Cannot buy XP-Pro anymore - have had to use Virtual Box running XP-Pro for many programs - works but a pain because manufacturers are too lazy/lousy to get off their backsides and fix the software. I am running Vista on everything now and like it. Runs better and faster than XP-Pro in my view and has lots of good diagnostics hidden away as to problem programs, why the computer is slow to start (problem programs) or shut down - you just have to find them. Turn off UAC and all is good. Running Vista Business - the lower ones are really not much good for networking and Ultimate is a rip off in my view for very little benefit.

I absolutely hate it when you develop a project and the programming software dumps a heap of files all over your hard drive. Good software is available that does not do this. Omron CX-Programmer saves only 2 files for a multitude of PLCs in a project - 1 for the GPI and how you want it to behave and the other file saves all the PLC programs, documentation, symbols etc. For example, I have a project for a power station where there are 9 PLCs, many with remote I/O, and all are networked peer to peer and back to a Citect SCADA system, and all PLC programs, symbols, comments etc are stored in 2 files. 1 file is only 28k and the file that holds ALL the PLC stuff including comments and everything else is only just over 500k!!! It can be done.

Just waiting for Omron to do the same thing with the screen software although each screen program at least stores 1 file in the mother directory and the rest in a sub directory. I guess it is a bit more difficult as invariably there are graphic files (bmp, gif etc) to save separately. However, one can hope.

Cost of software from some companies is exorbitant!! For a complete set of Omron software, networking, motion control, HMI, everything costs me $2500 AU trade price.

The last time I spoke to Schneider it was over $11000 AU, AB was about $15000 plus AU, Siemens was no better. WHY??? And do not give me all the nonsense about different divisions selling to each other and having to make money - that I consider to be an absolute load of rubbish. Omron work the same way I am sure and still keep the whole package that will support all but the very oldest PLCs from late 80's and early 90's at a reasonable cost. Major upgrades usually cost one off about $700 AU and all updates for each major revision are updated online at no extra cost, although that may change - who knows. Reasonable price.

Also high on the wishlist is that all manufacturers properly write and test EDS etc files. Unlike other manufacturers, Omron stick strictly to the guidlines and rules for each protocol. For example, you require an EDS file for Ethernet I/P and Device Net - no generic file is provided. While a generic file is probably handy, the rules are that each device should have a properly written and tested EDS file - the same file is used with Ethernet I/P, Device Net and probably with CompoNet in the future as products are developed for that absolutely excellent remote I/O system - beats Device Net and Profibus hands down in my view. Invariably the EDS file does not work - an absolute pain when that happens. STICK TO THE RULES and we will all be happy.

...including 64 bit floating point maths

Thats another one. 64 bit math support doesn't require that the PLC maker change the hardware. It can be included in the firmware and the instruction set. 64 bit floating point math has been being done for years on 16 bit and 32 bit processors, the methods are well established. If its not there its either because the PLC maker believes it is not necessary or is just to lazy to be bothered, or probably more likely, justifies the latter by saying the former. Any PLC with a 32 bit processor really should support it. Granted it won't matter for 95% of the users, but it will make a big difference for the 5%. And before anyone says that the 5% does not justify it, take a look at the typical instruction set - there are tons of instructions already out there that are used by 5% or less.

BobB said:
...Omron... ...Omron... ...Omron... ...Omron... ...Omron...
Come on Bob, just tell us what your favorite PLC is. 🍻

Last edited:
hello all,
I have been running Step 7 for Siemens for about 6 or 7 months now on Vista. If you have version 5.1 or higher you can download an upgrade for free,(its hard to beat free), from the Siemens website. Thanks Siemens (please send money LOL).

Never hidden that Alaric - good features, same instruction set even in a shoebox (64 bit floating point in a shoebox!), reasonable cost, unlike some. Have absolutely no problem paying reasonable price for good software by the way - just don't want to get ripped off!!!

Will have to look into the Siemens issue - thanks for that. Still don't like the software (files all over the hard drive and hard to use) or the price!

It strikes me that Beckhoff seems to match a lot of the wishes posted so far.

Notice: I dont work for Beckhoff, I dont even use Beckhoff or Twincat, but I find their products very interesting.

Beckhoff was the first to have OPC UA for example (my own wish).

dYoast said:
Not just Ethernet, but the ability for multiple addresses.
Beckhoffs latest (CX5000 announced for next year) will have two independent ethernet ports. OK, not so revolutionary because many other PLCs have ethernet add-on modules. It is just that these ethernet modules are always waaayyy too expensive.

craigsimon said:
I would love to see a way to upload/download SQL database information over ethernet without using additional hardware/software.
That is one I could use !
Beckhoff Twincat has this option. At least for their PLCs based on WinXP embedded.

BobB said:
including 64 bit floating point maths
Beckhoff Twincat also has LREAL's. Dont all CoDeSys PLCs ?

And Twincats programming environment is cheap too, adressing one of BobB's peeves.

I sincerely wish Beckhoff wider market penetration. When they get the success they deserve, the big players will have to take note of what Beckhoff does.

About storing comments and symbols on the flashcard, dont all modern PLCs support that ? You just have to buy a card big enough.

About Vista support. Well, I dont blame the PLC manufacturers that they cannot keep up with Microsoft. All brace for when Win 7 hits the world.