To Add better features to my PLC project.

susheel

Hi sir,
Currently Im studying my post-graduation in Process control Instrumentation Engineering and Im working on a project involving automation using Mitsubishi PLC. :) In my project I've automated a conventional electrical cutting machine using PLC by writing its ladder logic. Now I've one more month time and would like to work for some improvisation in my project.(I've heard of MMI/HMI and OPC etc.) I also do not have much hardware resources but software such as VB, Oracle etc are available. I want to know what other options exist and how to get adapted to them in order to make my project a better one. Kindly suggest me a way to complete my project in a better way. Thank you.

susheel

When you do get a 'real job' in the market you will soon be confronted to IT personal thinking they can easaly do you job if it involves a network.

'It got a network, I can do this Do!'

So why not getting some Data transfer out of your system?

A Database (MySQL).
Some transfer related to production and maintenance would be nice.

It will be of use later :)

susheel,

For many real machines, the next step would be to add an Operator Control Panel, or a graphical interface that gives the machine operator a much better control panel than the traditional pushbutton switches and indicator lights. Usually this type of panel is called a Human-Machine Interface (HMI) control panel. For your project, you could actually buy one for about $300 U.S. The price depends on how many features that you need to use. Automation Direct (automationdirect.com) makes graphical display panels that will work with many different PLC's. Some have only text display, but most have text, LED indicators, and pushbutton switches built into the panel. All are programmable and are controlled by the PLC. If you can afford a more expensive control panel, you can add graphical symbol display, so that flow diagrams can be added to the control panel. This includes panels like the poplar Allen-Bradley Panelviews.

Susheel,

Adding MMI would be great. You can get some low cost MMI in India Rs@8000/- (4 line 16char display + 4 user defined keys +4LEDS ) A touchscreen would cost you around Rs 20,000.
What is the exat cycle for the m/c? Is it possible to add some auto cycle features like different recepies for different jobs?

Regards

reachasp

Self - Diagnostics

Consider writing as many self-diagnostic routines as you can stomach. The easier it is to diganosis system failures, the happier EVERYONE will be. :D

This will aid in quicker machine turnaround, and with the proper failure analysis of common failures, increased Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF).

No one wants to work on a piece of "that which makes things grow" machine that is difficult to diagnosis. ;)

Any diagnositic routines you can implement in a Closed Servo Loop Control circuit will yield countless blessings and prayers of gratitude from the tech that has to get in and exorcise the demons.

ANY Error Logging routines you can generate, with auto frequency sorting, is always greatly appreciated as well.

A program without these additional help meets is less than helpfull. :)