Help needed programming 1746-BAS module

prlja

Hello everyone,

I need help with programming 1746-BAS module. I am able to connect to PRN1 port via Hyperterminal and execute commands, even make test prints. But I don't have any experience with programming this module.
Currently module doesn't have program loaded, it displays "READY" for whatever command I send. It doesn't have EEPROM so I can't load program to RAM.

Printer is connected to PRT2, configured to 1200 baud, no handshake, 1 stop bit, 8 bits/char, no parity and it works fine.
I have program running in SLC 5/03 processor connected to AB Panelview 550.

SLC sends fault messages to Basic card to be printed out. It's using MOV loggic command - Source "numeric ID of fault" to Destination O:1.0

It also sends date to printer as: XIC B3:25/5 OSR B3:25/11 BST MOV 97 O:1.0 NXB MOV N151:1 O:1.3 NXB MOV N151:2 O:1.4 NXB MOV N151:3 O:1.5 BND
and time: XIC B3:25/6 OSR B3:25/12 BST MOV 98 O:1.0 NXB MOV N151:11 O:1.3 NXB MOV N151:12 O:1.4 NXB MOV N151:13 O:1.5 BND

This is example of printer test message (B3:25/8 is HMI "TEST PRINTER" pushbutton): XIC B3:25/8 OSR B3:25/10 MOV 31 O:1.0

It would be great if anyone could post an example of the program for Basic card or give me any idea what to do.

Thank you for your time in advance

Get a EEPROM for the module. Been probably 15 years since I programmed one of these but IIRC you can make basic programs by placing line numbers in front of basic commands. The command "list" will display your program. There is a command to store it to the EEPROM module too but I don't recall what it is ("PROG", "PROG2", etc).

Check the RA website for programming manuals to get more specifics.

Getting EEPROM is not a problem, creating any kind of program is :)
When I type LIST, LIST@ or LIST# I get response "READY"
That means that there is no program in the module.

True. Try this (I'm doing this from memory)

100 dim A
110 A=123
120 print A

then LIST and see if it stored. Then RUN to see it work.

(someone jump in here if my memory is flawed)

Thanks, this is what I get when I hit run:

ERROR: ARRAY SIZE - IN LINE 100

100 DIM A
---------------X
READY
>

I have the manual but there is minimal info about SLC / BAS programming, only list of instructions and parameters.

There are many references on the internet for BASIC programming if you don't have experience. The manual gives you the details on any commands that are unique to the BAS module.

best to start by defining what you are trying to do,write out the steps to do it, then code it in the language that you'll be using. In this case it's BASIC.

I have the manual but there is minimal info about SLC / BAS programming, only list of instructions and parameters.
Do you have this manual: "Allen Bradley BASIC Development Software Programming Manual" (Catalog Number 1747-PBASE)?

If not, here is a link to that download:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fliterature.rockwellautomation.com%2Fidc%2Fgroups%2Fliterature%2Fdocuments%2Fpm%2F1746-pm001_-en-p.pdf&ei=uwlLUq7LGI7m9gSch4HAAw&usg=AFQjCNEZGqVz2PzfWyzpviV3l6GD11Yexg

Last edited:
Yes I have it, thanks. Still, it's not really clear what CALL / POP / PRINT combination does and gets from SLC. Manuals tend to be very confusing sometimes, especially AB ones. I just need simple explanation - IF you get this from SLC THEN you PRINT that on PRN2 or whatever :)
Should be that simple, or not ?

A short list of Command Functions:

Command Function
CONT CONTinue program execution after a STOP statement or CONTROL-C command.
CONTROL-C Stop current program execution in Run mode and return module to Command mode. CONTROL S Interrupt a LIST command.
CONTROL Q Restart a LIST command after a CONTROL S command.
DISABLING CONTROL-C Disable the CONTROL-C break function. CALL 18 disables the CONTROL-C break function. CALL 19 re-enables the CONTROL-C break function.
ERASE Erase the program stored in ROM.
LIST LIST current program or indicated lines of program to the console device.
LIST# LIST current program or indicated lines of program to the device connected to port PRT1.
LIST@ LIST current program or indicated lines of program to the device connected to port PRT2.
MODE Set up port parameters. MODE(DH485,19200)
NEW Erase the program stored in RAM.
NULL Count the number of null characters the module outputs after a carriage return.
PROG Program the EEPROM module with the current program.
PROG1 Program the EEPROM module with port information for all three ports and store MTOP information.
PROG2 Execute the first program stored in EEPROM when the module is turned on.
RAM Select the current program from RAM.
ROM Select the current program from EEPROM.
RUN Execute the currently selected program.
XFER Transfer a program from EEPROM to RAM, then select RAM mode.